- What should you consider when buying an air quality monitor for your space?
- 6 Best Air Quality Monitors for Home 2021
- Airthings – 2930 Wave Plus – Radon & Air Quality Monitor (VOC, Humidity, Temp, CO2, Pressure) (Misc.)
- Airthings-292 Wave Mini – Indoor Air Quality + Mold Risk Monitor – Chemicals (TVOCs), Humidity, Temperature (Misc.)
- IQAir AirVisual Pro Air Quality Monitor for PM2.5, CO2, AQI, Temperature, and Humidity, IFTTT App Enabled, Real-Time Air Quality (Health and Beauty)
- Air Quality Monitor, Formaldehyde Detector, Pollution Meter, Sensor, Tester; Detect & Test Indoor Pollution, TVOC Volatile Organic Compound Gas, PM2.5 2.5 Micron Particulate Matter Dust; eBook (Misc.)
- Huma-i (HI-150), Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor Indoor Outdoor Which Measures CO2, VOC, Particle Matter (PM2.5 and PM10), Temperature, Humidity – Black (Misc.)
- Air Quality Monitor Yvelines Air Quality Tester for CO2 Formaldehyde(HCHO) TVOC PM2.5/PM10 Multifunctional Air Gas Detector Real Time Data&Mean Value Recording for Home Office and Various Occasion
According to The World Health Organization statistics, about 4.2 million deaths are caused by exposure to ambient outdoor air pollution annually while 3.8 million deaths are caused by exposure to smoke from dirty cookstoves indoors annually. Studies have also found that we spend 90% of our time indoors. This means that there is a need to optimize the quality of air in our indoor spaces not just for comfort but also to remain in good health.
||Airthings 2930 Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor||9.5|
||Airthings 292 Wave Mini Indoor Air Quality Monitor||9.2|
||IQAir [AirVisual Pro] Smart Indoor & Outdoor Air Quality Monitor||9.8|
||EG Air Quality Monitor with Formaldehyde Detector||9.4|
||Huma-i (HI-150) Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor||9.5|
||YVELINES Air Quality Monitor||9.1|
However, when you notice that your nose has all of a sudden started to itch, you start sneezing, have trouble breathing, or are experiencing other respiratory-related problems, it’s a cinch that the air you are breathing is polluted. Sometimes, according to The EPA, indoor air can be two to five times more polluted than the air outdoors. Some top common indoor air pollutants include
- Radon. Naturally occurring radioactive gas that is odorless, colorless, tasteless, and dangerous if it occurs at high levels.
- Carbon dioxide (CO2). Trace carbon dioxide molecules will always be present in the atmosphere. Exposure to concentrated levels of carbon dioxide can cause drowsiness, headaches, high blood pressure, and other effects.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These include toxic chemical compounds found in the air like benzene, tetrachloroethylene, xylene, toluene, formaldehyde, and methyl chloride often from petroleum fuels, paint thinners, and varnishes, dry cleaning products, and others.
- Too high or too low humidity levels. Very high humidity breeds molds indoors and very dry air can cause cold and flu. The optimum indoor humidity level as recommended by The EPA is between 30% and 59%.
- Very high or very low-temperature levels. This interferes with sleep patterns, concentration, and overall comfort.
For this reason, it is vital to consider investing in an air quality monitor indoor, outdoor, in your car, hotel room, or in whichever space you find yourself. An air quality monitor is a device used to measure the level of pollutants in the air.
What should you consider when buying an air quality monitor for your space?
There is a wide range of air quality monitors for sale and getting the right one will be determined by the specific features that you are looking for in a monitor. Here are five questions you will need to ask yourself during purchase.
- Which elements can they measure? Different spaces have different air quality concerns. Most devices are designed to measure VOC, Radon, CO2, particulate matter, temperature, and humidity. Select a monitor that can measure the right combination of pollutants that are a hazard in your space.
- How accurate are air quality monitors? Accuracy is the ability of an air quality monitor to consistently give the right readings. This is a very important factor in air quality monitors for home use.
- Can they be used both indoors and outdoors? Some monitors are designed exclusively for indoor use while others can be used both indoors and outdoors. Where do you intend to use your monitor?
- How portable are they? Outdoor air quality monitors should be portable. This means that they should be compact in size and come with inbuilt rechargeable batteries or be powered by dry cells.
- Do they have smart capabilities? Should be able to connect to your smartphone for convenient use via an app or online through the phone. This is usually through Bluetooth connectivity or for some, waving the device in front of your phone. Still, some are compatible with digital assistants like Alexa, Google Assistant, or IFTTT (If this, then that).
6 Best Air Quality Monitors for Home 2021
Our review today looks at the seven best air quality monitors. Check out what makes them tick.
#1 Airthings 2930 Wave Plus Indoor Air Quality Monitor
This 2930 Wave Plus air quality monitor model by Airthings is one to consider if you are considering smart indoor air quality monitors. It is powered by two AA batteries that will give you 16-month runtime which makes it convenient to use anywhere. It is designed with six air sensors for detecting Radon, Carbon Dioxide, and Total VOCs (toxin and other chemicals) as well as checking humidity, temperature, and air pressure levels to keep you always updated with the quality status of the air around your space.
Operating it is easy. Simply install the Arithings App on your mobile and connect with Bluetooth 5.0 or log in online to the Airthings SmartLink Dashboard to have a detailed report of the quality of air in your space. In addition to giving you accurate interpretations of the quality of air around you, you can navigate the dashboard to receive insight on how to improve the air quality and maximize ventilation to prevent hazards.
Also, you have the option of waving your mobile device in front of the monitor. It will illuminate either green, yellow, or red to indicate good, fair, or poor air quality respectively. This device is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT for maximum convenience during operation.
- Radon detection is a valuable advantage
- Data available in metric or U.S units
- Long battery life
- Lacks PM (particular matter) sensor
- App only works within Bluetooth range
#2 Airthings 292 Wave Mini Indoor Air Quality Monitor
Do air quality monitors detect mold? The 292 Airwave Mini monitor is designed for this purpose. If you care much about mold in your space, this model will make a good option. It looks like most other Airthings monitors in size and design but is built to monitor humidity, temperature, and VOCs in your space to help you prevent mold by keeping the air dry and rid of dangerous chemicals. Via the Airthings app connecting via Bluetooth 5.0 version or the Airthings Smartlink Hub, you will get detailed and accurate notifications of the quality level of air in your room and when it is time to ventilate.
You can also wave your device in front of the monitor to get a color-coded indication with green indicating good quality, yellow indicating fair levels, and red indicating dangerous pollutant levels or poor air quality. This device is powered by three AA batteries which can take you through 12 months. You can customize your alerts by integrating Google Assistant, Alexa, or IFTTT.
- Compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa, and IFTTT
- Three connectivity options
- Lacks PM (particular matter) and CO2 sensor
- The app works only within Bluetooth range
#3 IQAir [AirVisual Pro] Smart Indoor & Outdoor Air Quality Monitor
The IQAir AirVisual Pro is one of the top air quality monitors for both indoor and outdoor use. It gives weather forecast updates, monitors the quality of air outdoors while also doubling up as a station to contribute useful information to the air quality data bank. With this, it combines machine learning and the available data to forecast air quality in different locations across the globe. However, the outdoor air quality monitor only works if you are close to an official monitoring station or have another monitor to act as a station.
This air monitor gives real-time data on indoor temperature and humidity levels and also detects PM2.5 and CO2 in the air. To allow you to understand your environment better, this device also displays information on the quality of air outdoors. It is compatible with IFTTT to customize air quality alerts on your smartphone. It is powered by an inbuilt rechargeable battery. Connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth by installing the IQAir app or connect online to the AirVisual dashboard for a detailed analysis report of the air quality in your environment.
Overall, it is one of the most accurate sensors as it combines light-scattering laser technology with the factory and cloud-based calibration algorithms to ensure high precision without the influence of environmental factors.
- Monitors air quality both indoor and outdoor
- Provides real-time accurate readings
- Compatible with IFTTT for customized alerts
- Has to be near another monitor or an official monitoring station to collect outdoor data
- Does not take TVOC readings
- Short battery life
#4 EG Air Quality Monitor with Formaldehyde Detector
This air quality monitor by EG offers real-time indoor air quality monitoring thanks to the integrated fan that sucks in air from your surroundings for the monitor to take readings which are then displayed on the 2.8-inch LCD display. It will detect the presence of formaldehyde (HCHO), TVOC, and particulate matter from size 2.5 microns in your space to keep your air clean and healthy while also protecting you from lung and throat infections while also protecting you from flare-ups if you are allergic.
This air monitor is designed with a multi-layer filter that includes a laser sensor for measuring levels of dust particles, an electrochemical semiconductor sensor for measuring HCHO and TVOC levels in your space. It is powered by an inbuilt rechargeable 2200 mAh battery that charges through a micro USB charging port. This also makes it quite portable for use in the car, in your house, or anywhere else and a great option if you are considering personal air quality monitors. The alarm is tweakable to allow you to detect different levels of HCHO levels. It also auto shuts after two days of continuous use.
- Designed to detect HCHO levels in addition to TVOC and
- Customizable alarm
- High battery consumption, you will need to recharge it after every two to three uses
#5 Huma-i (HI-150) Advanced Portable Air Quality Monitor
The Huma-i air quality monitor is small-sized, sturdily built, and comes with an outer casing to protect it particularly when being used outdoors. It is also one of the functional but low-cost air quality monitors you’ll come across. Aside from the aesthetics, this air quality monitor is designed to measure both indoors and outdoors monitor carbon dioxide, TVOC compounds, as well as PM2.5 and PM10 levels in your space. It also takes temperature and humidity readings. It is integrated with a fan that sucks in ambient air giving it the ability to display real-time measurements. Measurements are displayed in graph or icon format on the OLED screen which you navigate with the button at the top of the front side of the device.
In addition, it has a color-coded status light that shows you at a glance the quality status of the air around you. Blue indicates good, green indicates moderate, yellow indicates poor, and red indicates unhealthy or dangerous air quality. Together with the fact that it is one of Huma-i portable air quality monitors, makes it a great addition to your safety toolset. Portable, in this case, is not just in its size but also in the fact that it comes with a built-in rechargeable battery.
- Gives accurate measurements
- Measures both PM2.5 and PM10 particulate matter
- It is easy to use
- 60 minutes battery runtime is rather short
- When not plugged in to charge, the screen auto shuts after 10 minutes
- Status light does not go off
#6 YVELINES Air Quality Monitor
YVELINES is known to produce some of the best air quality monitors for home use. This handheld air quality monitor by YVELINES does not fall short. It is designed to take HCHO, TVOC, PM2.5 & PM10, and CO2 measurements in your environment in real-time. It also displays the mean value of these readings to give you an at-a-glance air quality status of your environment. This means that it has the capability to store historical data from which the mean is derived. It is perhaps the latest in YVELINES line of air quality monitors having been released in July 2020. This upgraded monitor comes with an LCD digital display with easy to read data, an alarm system that indicates when the air around you is unhealthy, as well as a one-press functional button.
This monitor comes with a built-in rechargeable 2000 mAh Lithium polymer battery with a decent 8-12 hours runtime that is charged through a USB connection. This makes it portable
- Displays the mean value of the readings which is important when a single current reading cannot be relied upon to determine the air quality status of the environment due to its instability
- Has a long battery runtime
- Easy to operate LCD screen
- Does not measure temperature and humidity
You can be in charge of the air in your space and one way of doing this is by investing in the right air quality monitor. Air pollution can cause serious health problems. This is why it is important to deal with any form of pollution at an early stage. As you score home air quality monitors reviews, be sure to look out for features in a monitor that addresses the specific pollution problem in your home. It is therefore no longer a question of ‘do air quality monitors work?’ rather, ‘which type of monitor do I need?”