- Safety tips for using a step stool with a handle
- Buying guide
- Best Step Stools With Handles 2021
- DMI Step Stool with Handle for Adults and Seniors Made of Heavy Duty Metal, Holds up to 300 Pounds with 9.5 Inch Step Up (Health and Beauty)
- Leekpai Sturdy Step Stool with Handle for Seniors,Adults. Heavy Duty Holds 300lbs.Non-Slip Safety Step, Attractive Black for Bathroom (Health and Beauty)
- Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool with Handrail and Non Skid Rubber Platform, Silver Vein (Health and Beauty)
- Vaunn Medical Foot Step Stool with Handle and Anti Skid Rubber Platform, Lightweight and Sturdy Stool for Children, Adults and Seniors, Chrome (Health and Beauty)
- AdjustaStep(tm) Deluxe Step Stool/Footstool with Handle/Handrail, Height Adjustable. 2 Products in 1. Modern White/Blue Design. Padded Non-Slip Handle. (Health and Beauty)
Need more height to reach or access specific areas more safely? Why not give a step stool a try. If you do not own one yet, then now could be the right time. Step stools with handles for use by adults are generally great options for our loved ones. With a step stool, even elders with mobility issues can now confidently step up to small heights as well as get down from them more easily without assistance. Therefore, to say a step stool with a handle is a must-have in every senior’s house is stating the obvious.
||DMI Step Stool with Handle for Adults and Seniors||9.6|
||Leekpai Sturdy Step Stool with Handle||9.5|
||Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool||9.3|
||Vaunn Medical Foot Step Stool||9.2|
||AdjustaStep™ Deluxe Step Stool||9.9|
When seniors live alone, there is often the need to take something from the shelf or even get down from a height, but these tasks are usually difficult due to their weak bones. However, with height comes risks hence if you are going to pick a step stool with a handle, then you will need to be more considerate as well as give a little more care to the type of step stool you choose before you finally make that important purchase.
There are a lot of spaces in the house that are hard to reach, especially when working and moving becomes harder as people age. Elderly people need to be even more careful about how they move around as well as reaching up for things in the normal course of their living. For elders to stay independent, without having to rely on the assistance of any family member or caregiver to undertake everyday tasks, then getting the best stool with a handle for the elderly person could be a worthwhile investment.
Safety tips for using a step stool with a handle
Safety needs to be the main priority if you are responsible for an elderly loved one’s care, especially when they move into your home and want to remain indoors. Although our homes are where we are most comfortable, they pose safety risks for seniors and therefore safety measures need to be taken to avert any accidents. Where seniors use a step stool with a handle, the following safety tips need to be considered;
- Ensure the step stool is used on a surface that is level with, solid floor support for all four feet. The step stool must never be placed on top of other objects or other unstable bases to obtain additional height.
- Ensure that the step stool is spread fully open and the spreaders are firmly locked. Always check to make sure the locking mechanism is engaged before climbing up the steps.
- Do not use step stool on slippery surfaces.
- Always check the step stool before each use. Where you notice or even suspect a damaged part, do not use it but instead place it aside and call for a specialist for assistance.
- When ascending or descending the steps, always face towards the step stool.
- Never attempt to move the stool while still on top. Instead, descend first, relocate the step stool, and then re-climb.
- When not in use, store the step stool in a location that is free from heat. Do not place heavy items on top of the step stool.
There are several step stools with handles in the market, but not all of them are good for seniors. If you are a senior or a caregiver who is looking to buy a good step stool with a handle, here are some of the important factors you need to consider before making your choice:
Number of steps
Although step stools have one, two or even more steps, it is highly recommended to not go beyond two steps. This is because the risk of falls, which are common with seniors, is likely to increase with the increasing number of steps.
Consider the various heights in the home where the step stool is to be used and figure out whether you will need a one-stepper, two-stepper or three-stepper.
A lightweight step stool is much easier for the senior to move about than a heavier one.
Handle or handrail
A step stool with a handle that gives a good grip is always better for the senior as it can be easily carried or dragged without the need to bend, something which might be very difficult for some seniors.
Step stools also vary in terms of the maximum weights they can carry. Therefore, when making a choice ensure to factor in the weight of the user(s).
This is the stepping surface of a step stool. The platforms are made of different materials such as plastic or aluminum. But the most ideal would be a step stool with a platform made of rubber. This is because it ensures maximum friction and grip which will help to prevent slips and falls.
A step stool needs to be constructed with high-quality materials to ensure that it is strong and sturdy and ultimately lasts long. The material should also be resistant to rust, corrosion and other related issues. This can help avoid high replacement and repair costs.
Best Step Stools With Handles 2021
#1 DMI Step Stool with Handle for Adults and Seniors
This stepping stool by Duro-Med allows you to easily and safely access items that are out of reach as well as to reach higher beds, shelves, cabinets, and cars. It features a handrail, a nonslip textured matting and rubber tips that provide extra safety and stability. It weighs 8.5 pounds and is therefore easy to move from one room to another.
The heavy-duty stepping stool has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and is designed for functionality and safety. Its non-slip base and handles make it an ideal stepping stool for seniors and a safer alternative to using normal stools and chairs that may cause fatal accidents. The step platform’s dimensions are 10” (W) x 14.5” (L) and 9.5 inches high from the floor while the handle height is 34 inches from the floor.
- It is lightweight and portable
- It requires little assembly as it is easy to put together
- Rubber tips for increased safety
- Non-slip textured surface
- The base legs are not wide enough
#2 Leekpai Sturdy Step Stool with Handle
With a 300 pounds weight capacity, this step stool by Leekpai features a steady handrail and a non-slip step and is convenient for both kids and adults. It is sturdy and is built with premium steel which makes it durable. The non-slip step comprises of rugged rubber plastic with grip grooves. It, therefore, enables you to safely use it while minimizing the risk of slipping and accidents.
This step stool with handles for the elderly is also fit for patients in therapy or recovering from surgery since the steady handle offers extra support. It is also safe for kids to use when accessing their toys from shelves or snacks and food from the kitchen cabinet. It is black so it can look good in any space and with any décor. In addition, cleaning it is easy. You can easily wash or clean it using water, a cloth or sponge and soap. The black color also makes it convenient for everyday use since it does not show grease and dirt and you, therefore, don’t need to clean it every time after use. The step stool comes with a toolbox that makes assembly fast and easy. It is also lightweight and therefore you can effortlessly move it from room to room. It is suitable to use in kitchens, bedrooms, closets, and bathrooms. The dimensions of this one-step step stool are 11.02″ (W) x 16.92″ (L) x 11.42 (H).
- Non-slip surface to prevent slipping and falling
- Blends well with any decor style
- Comes with a toolbox for assembling
- Easy to clean
- You can use it with or without the handle
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds
- It is a little wobbly
#3 Drive Medical Heavy Duty Bariatric Footstool
This step stool is not only popular for its striking appearance but for its sturdy construction as well. It is built for safety and durability with thick steel tubing and cross brace for additional stability and strength. Its silver vein finish makes it easy to clean and maintain and makes it attractive as well.
This stool is among the best step stools with handles available in the market. Its non-skid ribbed rubber platform provides safety and allows you to use it confidently without having to worry about slipping or falling. It also does not need assembly as it comes fully put together. The step stool has a weight capacity of 500 lbs and measures 10” (W) x 14” (L) x 9” (H) and 34” handle height.
- Has a non-skid rubber platform to prevent slipping and falling
- It is very sturdy and attractive
- Built for strength and stability
- Comes pre-assembled
- It is quite heavy
#4 Vaunn Medical Foot Step Stool
This Vaunn Medical foot step stool is among the most versatile elderly step stools. It is not only used in hospitals by medical professionals but also used at home as a footstool to help users reach for shelves and cabinets as well as get in and out of bed. It can also serve as a sitting stool when gardening. Made of triple-layered chrome-plated heavy-duty steel, this step stool is not only sturdy but also has lifetime durability. Its high-quality material is also rust-resistant and you can hence use it in your bathroom as a footstep stool.
In addition, it is very safe to use as it not only provides ultimate stability but also has a non-skid rubber platform as well as reinforced rubber feet. The rubber feet and platform offers extra security as they keep the step stool firm and stable on any surface. This step stool also features a handle for support and wide legs that are made thicker than other footstools for additional stability. This step stool measures 14” (W) x 17” (L) x 34” (H).
- It is ultra-durable
- It is made of high-quality material that is rust-resistant
- It is easy to assemble
- Wide thick legs for maximum stability
- It comes with unclear instructions
#5 AdjustaStep™ Deluxe Step Stool
This 2 in 1 product by Platinum Health can serve both as a stool with handles and a stool without handles. You can easily disassemble its parts for easy storage and transportation. Its height is adjustable and therefore allows you to adjust the step and height of the handle as well. For this reason, any user can customize it and comfortably use it. The safety step with handle is made with high-quality material and has an attractive modern blue/white design. It has sturdy steel construction and a powder-coated finish that is not only beautiful but also easy to clean and maintain.
This step stool also features a non-slip surface as well as foot grips so you can safely use it without slipping and falling. It has a handrail for extra support and safety. It is fit for people of all age groups including the elderly, children and the disabled and a great choice for those looking for a step stool with a modern design.
- It is versatile and user-friendly
- It has an adjustable height
- Has an anti-slip surface to prevent slipping and falling
- Handrail for extra body support
- Modern stylish design
- It is quite heavy
If you are an elderly person or you have a loved one who has a challenge with mobility around the home due to their age, it’s time you got them a step stool with a handle. Seniors need to be safe while reaching for things without the risk of falling. The market is flooded with step stools of various shapes and sizes, and various brands and models, posing a challenge when it comes to making a choice. Not all step stools are constructed with seniors in mind but whichever you go for safety and stability should be a priority. Go for quality-constructed step stools that have added safety features such as locking feet or handles, rubber-backed treads on the feet or handgrip features for user steadiness and stability. Stuck on how to go about picking one still? Order one from the ones we have reviewed.