- Wheelchair seat cushion types
- Best Wheelchair Seat Cushions 2019
- Roho Mosaic Wheelchair Seat Cushion 18″ x 16″ (Misc.)
- PURAP Seat Cushion for Wheelchairs and Recliners Helps Prevent and Heal Pressure Sores – Clinically Tested Fluid 3D Flotation Technology – 18 x 20 x 1.5 inches – Black (Health and Beauty)
- FOMI Premium All Gel Orthopedic Seat Cushion Pad for Car, Office Chair, Wheelchair, or Home. Pressure Sore Relief. Ultimate Gel Comfort, Prevents Sweaty Bottom, Durable, Portable (Health and Beauty)
- Vive Wheelchair Cushion – Gel Seat Pad for Coccyx, Orthopedic Back Support, Sciatica & Tailbone Pain Relief – Waterproof Cover + 4 Layer Foam Support and Comfort – for Pressure Sores and Ulcers (Health and Beauty)
- Large Seat Cushion with Carry Handle and Anti Slip Bottom Gives Relief from Back Pain (Misc.)
- ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion – Non-Slip Orthopedic Gel & Memory Foam Coccyx Cushion for Tailbone Pain – Office Chair Car Seat Cushion – Sciatica & Back Pain Relief (Home)
- Everlasting Comfort 100% Pure Memory Foam Wheelchair Seat Cushion, Gel Infused, Ventilated – Designed for Back, Hip, and Tailbone Pain – Fits Wheelchairs, Office Chairs, Standard, Black (Health and Beauty)
- Secure SGSC-1 Comfort Gel Foam Seat Cushion with Safety Strap for Wheelchairs and Chairs, Black – 18″ x 16″ x 3″ – Hip Tailbone Pain, Pressure Sore Relief, Back Coccyx Support Aid (Health and Beauty)
- FORTEM Seat Cushion & Lumbar Support for Office Chair, Car, Wheelchair, Memory Foam Pillow Relieves Coccyx & Sciatica Pain, Washable Covers (Health and Beauty)
Wheelchair seat cushions are meant to provide the much-needed comfort particularly for those who spend much time seated on a wheelchair. Sitting for long eventually causes pain and pressure on your spine, lower back, hips, and tailbone, all which affect your sitting posture negatively.
||ROHO MOSAIC Seating and Positioning Cushion||9.9|
||PURAP seat cushion for wheelchairs and pressure sores||9.3|
||FOMI Premium All Gel Orthopedic Seat Cushion||9.8|
||Vive Wheelchair Cushion||9.4|
||Xtreme Comforts Large Seat Cushion||9.6|
||ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion||9.1|
||Everlasting Comfort 100% Memory Foam Wheelchair Seat Cushion||9.8|
||Secure SGSC-1 Comfort Gel Foam Seat Cushion||9.2|
||Fortem The Extra Mile Seat Cushion||9.4|
Apart from offering comfort, seat cushions will help correct your sitting posture and ease sores from pressure points. Others like the gel foam wheelchair seat cushion are great at keeping you cool and those with meshed breathable fabric are excellent moisture wickers. Seat cushions have several functions
- Pressure points management
- Skin protection
- Posture correction
Wheelchair seat cushion types
- Foam. This is the most common type of seat cushion material. It varies in density from cushion to cushion and is a good option for those looking for something basic for their not so complicated sitting needs.
- Gel. Gel cushions are agreeably the best wheelchair seat cushions for pressure sores. Most feature a contoured designed which helps cushion the pressure points to provide relief.
- Foam infused gel. These are typically designed with a foam layer and a gel core to provide both comfort and pressure management.
- Air. An inflatable seat cushion for wheelchair users is usually inflated as desired to provide pressure relief. It pretty much operates like a gel cushion the difference being the air medium in it. It is also the most portable.
There are different seat cushion designs depending on the user’s needs. Some cushions have a contoured design, others wedge-shape, anti-thrust design, pommel design, and others come with a coccyx cut-out. The choice of design depends on the specific pressure points that a user would like to relieve. For instance, if you want wheelchair seat cushions to prevent pressure sores on the coccyx, you will opt for a model with a coccyx cut out while a wedge-shaped cushion promotes an upright sitting posture.
Measure the size of the cushion against your that of your chair to get the right size. If you need something versatile that can be used on different seats, get a large or average size that will fit all the chairs. On the other hand, getting an overly large cushion may pose a safety hazard. Size also depends on the users. There are three options to this effect, pediatric, standard, and bariatric.
This is a good option for users with incontinence challenges.
These would include straps to secure the cushion firmly on the seat, carry handle for easy transportation, non-slip bottom, and an easy-to-clean removable cover.
Best Wheelchair Seat Cushions 2019
Our review features several wheel cushions in the market. While the best seat cushion for wheelchair patients ultimately depends on their specific needs, the 9 below stand out as the best thanks to the features we have highlighted for each.
#1 ROHO MOSAIC Seating and Positioning Cushion
The MOSAIC® wheelchair air seat cushion is designed to deliver maximum comfort and protects your skin and soft tissue thanks to its anatomic design. It is made of PVC and features the revolutionary ROHO air-cell-based technology which allows it to contour around the shape of your body coupled with the effective airflow, this technology let’s one sit comfortably for long without experiencing sores. It comes with a two-way cover that stretches.
Its package includes an inflation pump and a repair kit. It comes with a weight rating of 315 lb. This model is available in a range of sizes so be sure to select the right size for your seat to enjoy maximum comfort.
- Air-inflated, allows you to regulate the air inside to achieve comfort
- Anatomic design guarantees maximum comfort
- Not for obese people
#2 PURAP Seat Cushion For Wheelchairs And Pressure Sores
The 18 x 20 x 1.5 inches seat cushion by PURAP is a great option if you are looking for a model that fits different purposes, built for relieving pressure sores. It is good for the wheelchair, recliner, office chair, and lift chair. It is built with an innovative Fluid 3 D Floatation Technology with several layers including a breathable waterproof cover, an anti – skid bottom along with air, fluid, and foam layers in between.
An advantage that this cushion offers over others is that, unlike foam cushions, it does not pack down thanks to the fluid layer. This way, rather than creating pressure spots, pressure spreads evenly across the cushion.
- Because of its fluid construction, it will not pack down
- Easy to clean and waterproof making it suitable for incontinent patients
- Flexible enough to fit different types of chairs
- Comes with a weight limit of 250 lb
#3 FOMI Premium All Gel Orthopedic Seat Cushion
Fomi’s gel seat cushion for a wheelchair and other users measures 17 x 15 inches and has been built with an elastic gel padding in between a breathable mesh cover and an anti-skid bottom. This cushion features the innovative column buckling technology in which elastic gel is the material used to make it. It offers amazing support to the relieving pressure points almost completely by spreading the user’s weight evenly onto the cushion.
An advantage with this cushion is that even with a long time of use, it will maintain its shape to give you support throughout. It comes with other impressive features like integrated carry handles, a non-slip bottom, and a zippered breathable mesh cover. It is arguably among the best medical grade cushion useful for relieving coccyx, lumbar, sciatica, and disc problems.
- Designed with the column buckling technology which allows the user’s weight to be distributed evenly on the cushion
- Does not lose its shape
- A little too stiff for delicate users
- Does not cover large seats
#4 Vive Wheelchair Cushion
Vive wheelchair foam seat cushion is built with comfort in mind. Measuring a generous 18 x 16 x 3 inches, this cushion is multilayered with a combination of liquid gel and premium foam layers in between the outer covers. This makes it both soft and supportive. The function of the liquid gel layer is to facilitate the even distribution of the user’s weight on the cushion while the foam layer delivers a soft comfortable surface that the user will enjoy sitting on.
On the outside, it has a water-resistant removable cover with a waterproof seal at the top and a slip-resistant layer at the bottom for safety purposes. It is integrated with a carry handle to make it portable.
- Dual waterproof protection
- Large to cover large seats
- Comfortable and supportive
- The gel tends to shift to sides with heavy use
#5 Xtreme Comforts Large Seat Cushion
This seat cushion by Xtreme Comforts measures a generous 19 x 17.5 x 3.5 inches making it among the largest seat cushions. It offers incredible relief from the sciatic, coccyx, lower back, and other forms of pain caused by pressure from sitting.
This cushion features a comfortable 3.5 inches thick dual layer foam construction in between a zippered mesh cover and a non-skid bottom. It is attached with a carry handle for easy transportation. Use it for travel in a plane, vehicle, or train, for your office chair, in your house for your recliner, kitchen or dining chair, or for meditation.
- Dual layer offers support, comfort and is durable
- The thick cushion offers maximum comfort
- Mesh cover provides a cooling effect as it allows for air circulation and breathability
- Foam layer tends to wear out with time
#6 ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion
ComfiLife seat cushion which measures 17.5 x 13.7 x 2.8 inches features memory foam layer with additional gel feature which helps produce a cooling effect when the foam gets hot after a long time of sitting. This makes it a good option if you are looking at a combination of support and comfort. Its unique ergonomic contoured design will offer maximum support for your tailbone while relieving pressure.
It is designed with a non-slip rubber bottom, a velour cover with zip closure, along with an attached handle for easy transportation.
- High-density memory foam with gel layer offers more advantages
- Removable machine-washable cover
- Firm in cold environments and soft in warm environments. Limits you to using in room temperature.
- Not the best for heavyweight people
#7 Everlasting Comfort 100% Memory Foam Wheelchair Seat Cushion
This seat cushion for wheelchair users by Everlasting Comfort features a ventilated memory foam infused with gel to deliver not just comfort, but also a cooling effect after you have sat for long and the foam heats up. This makes it a good option for relieving pressure sores as it comes with an added advantage.
Another advantage is that it molds to the contours of your bottom after you’ve sat on it for a while. This way, it offers your tailbone maximum support thereby preventing protecting you from pressure points. Measuring 18 x 17 x 3 inches, this cushion is large enough to fit onto your wheelchair perfectly. It is designed with a non-slip rubber bottom and a breathable mesh cover that is soft and friendly to the skin.
- Heat-responsive technology lets it mold to take the shape of your bottom which is a great comfort and support feature
- Gel-infused foam provides a cooling effect
- Hypoallergenic soft breathable cover
- Will not appeal to people who need a firm foam
- The cover is not waterproof
#8 Secure SGSC-1 Comfort Gel Foam Seat Cushion
The SGSC-1 seat cushion by Secure measures 18 x 16 x 3 inches and has been designed with high-density memory foam with a gel core to offer not only comfort and pressure relief but also a cooling function after sitting for long. It features a neoprene cover with excellent water-resistant, flame retardant, and antimicrobial properties which is also soft and friendly to the skin. This seat cushion has a non-slip bottom. It is integrated with buckle-closure safety straps for additional security when in use.
- At 3-inch thickness, it provides exceptional comfort and support
- Water-resistant, flame-retardant and anti-microbial
- Removable easy-to-clean cover
- Not ideal for heavy people
- Could be too firm for someone with frail joints
- Straps not adjustable to fit different chairs
- Gel layer could have been thicker for better comfort
#9 Fortem The Extra Mile Seat Cushion
If comfort, support, and correcting your sitting posture are your priority, this wheelchair seat and back cushion by Fortem is the cushion for you. It is a two-piece cushion with lumbar support and an ergonomic contoured designed seat cushion to take care of your lower back and tailbone respectively while helping you maintain the right sitting posture. The lumbar support piece is designed with elastic straps fitted with buckle closures to deliver the best security on any chair. The seat cushion, on the other hand, is attached with a carry handle for easy transportation.
Both pieces are made of premium, heat-responsive memory foam. The seat cushion is designed with a soft-to-touch removable velor cover and a non-slip rubber bottom. The lumbar piece, on the other hand, features a 3D mesh cover.
- Support for both the lower back and the coccyx
- The u-shaped ergonomic design is good for relieving pressure on your tailbone
- Highly adjustable, let’s you set the right height for maximum comfort
- Cumbersome moving around with two cushions
- It is not a firm cushion
Before you venture out to purchase a seat cushion, it is advisable to seek the recommendation of your doctor. Whether you are getting a cushion to prevent or relieve pressure sores, the best wheelchair seat cushion for you will certainly not be the best for others. This means that you need to go all out to get one that will meet your specific needs. This is especially because these pain relievers are most of the time used for medical purposes.