- Do cold massage rollers work?
- Factors you should consider when purchasing a massage roller ball
- Best Cold Massage Roller Balls
- 1. Recoup Fitness Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller
- 2. Dr. Scholl’s PLANTAR FASCIITIS Massage Ball
- 3. iECO Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller Ball
- 4. Aduro Sport Foot Massage Roller
- 5. Phyya Rehab – Cold Massage Roller Ball
- 6. Gaiam Restore Hot/Cold Foot Massage Roller
- 7. CIBLUTY ice beauty balls
- 8. Sub·Zero Cryosphere Cold Massage Therapy Ball
- 9. Vive Massage Ball Set (4 Piece)
- 10. Gaiam Restore Cold Therapy Massage Roller
Once in a while, as you go about your life’s activities you need a massage. You may be engaged in intense workouts, sports, and an active lifestyle. Or you may just experience muscle strain from injury, prolonged sitting, standing, or walking. There are many other factors that contribute to muscle strain, soreness, tension, or stiffness that would warrant a massage. Luckily there is a way you can get a good-quality result by using cold massage roller balls. Instead of paying large amounts of money to a professional masseuse.
It comes with benefits such as reaching and massaging the hard-to-reach parts of the body like the upper back and feet. These roller balls will not only help you to release muscle tension but are also useful for increasing blood circulation in targeted areas, myofascial release, and for simple relaxation.
||Recoup Fitness Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller||9.9|
|Dr. Scholl’s PLANTAR FASCIITIS Massage Ball, Hot & Cold Therapy||9.7|
|iECO Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller Ball||9.7|
||Aduro Foot Massager Roller, Pain Relief Foot Therapy, Reflexology and Acupressure Tools for Feet||9.5|
|Phyya Rehab – Cold Massage Roller Ball||9.8|
||Gaiam Restore Hot/Cold Foot Massage Roller||9.7|
|Cibulty Ice Beauty Balls for Facial||9.8|
||Sub·Zero Cryosphere Cold Massage Therapy Ball||9.8|
||Vive Massage Ball Set (4 Piece)||9.7|
||Gaiam Restore Cold Therapy Massage Roller||9.8|
Do cold massage rollers work?
Cold massage is effective. Cold massage rollers work but you need to use the right roller ball with the required features, dimensions, and massaging technique to feel the effect of the massage.
Benefits of a massage roller ball
In addition to their health and wellness benefits, here are other cold massage roller ball benefits:
- They’re affordable compared to getting a professional massage.
- They are small in size, lightweight, and for at home or on the go use.
- They promote independence because users perform massage themselves without depending on others.
- They’re a great tool for massaging any part of the body including the hard-to-reach spots like the back, plantar fascia, glutes, shoulders, and hamstrings.
- Some massage balls are versatile and can be used for both ice cold and heat massage therapy. This provides ranging pressure from gentle to deep tissue massage.
Factors you should consider when purchasing a massage roller ball
There are several factors that you need to bear in mind to get the best massage roller ball for your needs. These are:
Compact lightweight roller balls are easier to carry around in a bag which makes them convenient for on-the-go people. On the other hand, they are not the best for massaging larger muscle groups as they cover a smaller surface. They are great for the feet, arms, and other body parts.
Some massage roller balls have a smooth texture while others are studded or patterned with ridges or knobs. Smooth surface roller balls are great for gentle massage. The studded and patterned roller ball texture delivers a kneading effect and different pressure intensities while offering a good grip during a massage.
Massage roller balls also range in hardness. Soft massage balls, as we have already seen, are most preferred for a gentle massage or for injured tissues. On the other hand, a hard massage ball is good for deep tissue massage and for releasing trigger points. That gives your muscles firm pressure on the targeted area. The part of the body you will be massaging will also determine whether you get a soft or hard roller ball.
It can be quite difficult to control the movements of a roller ball that keeps slipping off or rolling off. For this reason, you need to consider a ball that has a firm grip on the surface that you will be rolling it on. A good grip mostly depends on the material that the ball is made of. Rubber provides a great grip on smooth floors and PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) can be good on surfaces that are not too slippery.
Just as you would prefer a lasting solution in any product that you purchase, there is no doubt you’ll want a long-lasting roller ball. Also, consider how frequently you will use the cold massage roller ball and choose a material that will last through the use you will put it through.
Best Cold Massage Roller Balls
There are scores of massage ball brands and models with different features in the market. For this reason, you need to understand your needs and identify the right features to look for in a roller ball. Still, not all balls are of the same quality. Below, we review the top 10 roller balls on the market and tell you why they are worth your consideration.
1. Recoup Fitness Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller
The stainless-steel cold massage ball by Recoup Fitness tops our review list. Its 2-in-1 design allows you to use it conveniently with or without its rubber handle. It measures 3.14 inches (8 cm) in diameter which is slightly larger than a baseball. Thus, the Recoup Fitness cryosphere rollers are big enough to achieve the best results, especially for the larger muscle groups such as the back.
This cold massage roller will make a great choice if you want to relieve:
- Joint pain
- Foot pain
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Sore muscles
- Shin splints
- Other forms of muscle therapy
Simply freeze it for about two hours and use it to massage the affected area intermittently. You can also use it for up to 6 hours since it keeps cold longer than other roller balls. It is lightweight and only weighs 1.38 lbs., allowing you to carry it conveniently wherever you go.
- Freezes fast and retains cold temperature longer.
- Great design, this ball rolls freely in all directions.
- Big enough to massage the larger muscle groups.
- A little noisy during massage.
- The base is small and not stable for hands-free rolling on the ground. It works best with the handle.
2. Dr. Scholl’s PLANTAR FASCIITIS Massage Ball
Dr. Scholl’s massage ball is specifically designed to ease pain and inflammation around the plantar fascia area. A two-in-one roller is used for both heat and cold therapy. This roller ball can be used by filling it with hot water for heat therapy to ease muscle soreness. Or fill it with cold water for cold therapy to ease inflammation and increase blood circulation. Additionally, you can use it empty at room temperature without any water.
This roller ball features nubs at its top and base and a sure-grip band around it to provide a secure grip when rolling on smooth surfaces. It is easy to set up. Simply unscrew it with a coin, fill it halfway with hot or cold water, freeze it further for additional cooling, and then screw back the cap securely before using it. Measuring 3.03x3x5.9 inches or 7.8×7.6×15 cm (LXWXH), this massage ball is wide enough to cover the plantar fascia for people with wide feet.
- Offers hot and cold foot therapy.
- Smooth and nubbed to deliver effective targeted massage.
- The sure-grip band makes it stable on smooth surfaces.
- Limited to only massaging the plantar fascia.
3. iECO Cryosphere Cold Massage Roller Ball
The 2-in-1 iECO cold massage roller ball is a versatile piece that offers the benefits of both cold and warm massage. Activate your roller ball for 2 hours in the freezer to last you up to 6 hours of cold massage for cryotherapy and myofascial release with the foam rolling. These massage therapies are great for pre-and post-workout recovery. It helps with reducing inflammation and muscle relief at the back, neck, shoulders, hamstring, shin, calves, legs, plantar area, or other targeted treatment areas. Also, use it for up to 20 minutes of warm massage first by placing it in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
The iECO roller ball makes a great option for both home, gym, and on-the-go use because it is lightweight and portable at only 2.36 inches in diameter. It has an ergonomic ABS and rubber grip to provide a firm hold and a great experience during free roll massage. Still, you can fit it with its handle for targeted body massage anywhere while sitting or laying on a surface.
The 304 food-grade stainless steel roller ball comes with nontoxic cooling gel inside it to help keep the ball warm or cold longer during a massage.
- Thick ball and cooling gel keep the ball cold or warm longer.
- Detachable holder for free-rolling or hand-held roller ball massage.
- A non-slip base provides a firm grip for a 360-degree free roll massage on any part of the body.
- Textured grip both at the base and at the rim offers a better experience, especially for under-foot free-roll massage.
4. Aduro Sport Foot Massage Roller
The Aduro massage roller is designed specifically for foot massages. It is a great choice for relieving muscle tension and pressure points around your feet caused by plantar fasciitis. This 2-in-1 foot massage roller is made for both hot and cold massage. It can deliver up to 176 degrees when doing a hot foot massage to relieve muscle ache, tightness, soreness, and increased blood circulation. It also delivers relieving cold massages for swelling and inflammation.
The Aduro Sport Foot Massage Roller is made to last using high-density durable PVC material with a textured surface. It not only offers a kneading feel under your feet during a massage but also a good grip during the free-rolls. Its unique design fits perfectly on the foot arch for effective reflexology and acupressure. It is also quite lightweight and portable measuring 6.25 inches long and 3.3 inches high.
This model is available in four different colors including teal, pink, black, and grey.
- Uniquely shaped to fit on the foot arch for effective relief.
- Textured on the surface with nubs that provide both a kneading effect and good grip.
- The textured surface may be great for massage however, it reduces the contact surface between the roller and your skin which may affect heat or cold transfer.
5. Phyya Rehab – Cold Massage Roller Ball
This Phyya Rehab cold massage roller ball is a great heat and ice massage tool for your sore muscles and joints. Whether you have an injury, back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, shin splints, plantar fasciitis, or fatigued muscles, this roller ball will deliver all-around relief from muscle soreness, tension, and inflammation.
It features a convenient design with a rubberized and grooved hold making it perfect for massaging the hard-to-reach areas of your body. How to use cold therapy roller ball is easy. Simply, place it inside the freezer for 2 hours and use it on sore, injured, tight, or inflamed muscles for up to 6 hours of cold massage therapy. This roller ball rolls smoothly while offering you a good grip during massage thanks to its rubberized and grooved grip.
- The finger groove makes handling easier and workable.
- It is lightweight and portable, good for an on-the-go sports person.
- Only offers cold massage.
- The ball does not roll as smoothly immediately after being taken out of the freezer.
- A little smaller sized than other roller balls in its league which limits the area it covers.
6. Gaiam Restore Hot/Cold Foot Massage Roller
This simplistic design of this dual massage roller gives you two therapy options. Place it in the freezer or in hot water for up to 30 minutes of cold or hot therapy. Plus, it helps relieve tightness, ease tension, and deliver great relief for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. Also, it is shaped to fit into the arch of your feet for effective pain relief. The raised surface dots provide the kneading effect that your feet need for faster relief.
The roller surface comes with two pattern options: the directional pattern improves blood circulation while the cobbled texture is great for muscle release. You can even step on it while standing, seated, or laying on the ground, or adjust your foot in any way you like for targeted massage on different spots.
- Two massage options for more benefits.
- The unique shape fits perfectly into the foot arch.
- Made of durable PVC.
- Designed only for feet massage.
7. CIBLUTY ice beauty balls
These handheld roller balls are perfect for facials and make a great complement to your skincare routine wherever you go. The CIBLUTY ice beauty package includes 2 ice globes and a makeup remover pad.
To use them for cold therapy, put the ice globes in the freezer for 10 minutes or less, and then take them out and massage your skin. They are great for reducing puffiness under the eyes, tightening skin pores, brightening the skin, and providing a smooth texture. You can also opt to use the CIBLUTY Cold massage roller ball for face massage on your facial skin with serum or essential oils to increase blood circulation and activate facial nerves and muscles.
CIBLUTY ice globes are made of high-quality freeze-proof Nano borosilicate glass with anti-freeze liquid. Once you are through with your massage therapy, simply clean it and sanitize with wipes, clean water with mild soap, or a cleanser.
- Built to last.
- Easy-to-clean material.
- A little too large for some to roll with ease on the face.
8. Sub·Zero Cryosphere Cold Massage Therapy Ball
This versatile cold massage ball by Sub Zero is designed for targeted massage on the arms, shoulders, neck, back, knees, thighs, ankles, feet, and other areas. Therefore, whether you’re relieving an ankle sprain, inflammation, tennis elbow, treating a sunburn, or a simple facial muscle release, this roller ball will do the job right.
It is a 3-in-1 roller ball that delivers effective ice-cold massage, heat therapy, and the traditional myofascial roller ball massage. Place it in the freezer for 1 – 2 hours for up to three hours of ice-cold massage good for pain, inflammation, and soreness. For heat therapy, place it under hot tap water for 10 minutes to get up to 20 minutes of heat massage for chronic pain.
Its ergonomic, high-density, thermoplastic handle with a non-slip rubber grip makes it easy to handle and gives smooth-rolling. It is made from a high-quality food-grade stainless steel material that is tough, durable, and corrosion-resistant. The core is filled with non-toxic anti-freezing cooling gel that helps retain the roller-ball temperature longer.
- This is a great on-the-go massage roller ball. It is lightweight, compact, and stays cooler longer.
- Versatile can be used on any targeted spot on the body.
- Comfortable to hold.
- The roller ball only rolls up and down but not 360 degrees in a circular motion.
- A longer handle can be good for massaging hard-to-reach areas.
9. Vive Massage Ball Set (4 Piece)
This four-piece massage set by Vive comes with three different massage balls and a roller.
- The smooth Lacrosse ball is solid inside with a smooth rubber surface for a gentle massage and trigger point release.
- The medium stubbed ball is hollow inside and made of flexible plastic making it a good option for acupressure and myofascial release.
- The harder firm spike ball that is hollow on the inside and made from durable plastic with 5mm high spikes on the surface, is great for acupuncture and deep tissue massage.
- Finally, the textured foot roller offers effective relief from heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, fatigued muscles, and more. Except for the foot roller, the massage balls can be used anywhere on the body including the arms, back, shoulders, legs, and other places.
- The Vive massage roller ball set is also a dual massager used for both cold and heat therapy. For a cooling massage, freeze it for three hours or overnight. The inner cooling gel freezes to deliver a cooling effect and quick relief. For heat therapy, warm the massage balls or foot roller in hot water for about 10 minutes and massage the targeted area.
Vive also has the best vibrating massage roller ball in its line of products that is battery-powered and highly effective.
- All-inclusive 4-in-1 set with two studded massage balls, one smooth Lacrosse massage ball, and a foot roller.
- Lightweight, durable, and portable package for at the home, gym, and on-the-go use.
- The foot roller lacks enough grip and so tends to slip off during the massage.
10. Gaiam Restore Cold Therapy Massage Roller
Designed for cold therapy, the Gaiam Restore massage roller is a great post-workout massage roller that is compact, lightweight, and portable allowing you to carry it wherever you go. This roller ball contains a non-toxic cooling gel that maintains its temperature longer, for up to 20 minutes. Freeze it for 20 minutes before a cold therapy massage to effectively ease your muscle ache, inflammation, and sore muscles, and promote blood circulation.
Made of durable food-grade stainless steel, this roller ball glides smoothly all-around at 360 degrees offering a very relaxing massage on targeted muscles. Its rubberized handle offers you a non-slip grip and easy handling. Finally, its ergonomic barrel design makes it easy to massage the hard-to-reach spots for a rewarding experience.
- The sturdy and easy-glide barrel design offers smooth rolling with any desired level of pressure.
- Sure-grip non-slip handle.
- Lightweight, compact, and portable for on-the-go use.
- Not versatile as it is only built for cold therapy massage.
- The cold wears off fast.
- May need a longer handle for massaging back and other hard-to-reach muscles.
Our bodies are built to be flexible enough for running, walking, workouts, and doing other activities without a struggle. However, engaging in intense workouts and other strenuous activities exposes us to sore and aching muscles, or other forms of strains, pains, inflammations, spasms, stiffness, and swellings in different parts of our bodies. Sometimes all we need to rejuvenate our muscles, promote healing and healthy muscles, or prevent injury is simple ice cold or heat therapy and this is where massage rollers come in handy.
For this reason, whether you are an athlete, gym enthusiast, or simply need relief post-injury, a massage roller ball is what you should consider purchasing. The best cold massage roller ball is one that will meet your specific needs whether you want one for on-the-go use, versatile for both heat and cold massage therapy, or one that glides at 360 degrees for an effective massage. Also, a good roller ball should be made of high-quality, durable, and easy-to-clean material.