Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is a common condition that today affects more people in the United States than Type 2 diabetes. Sadly, not many people are aware of this condition that may have affected them at some point in their lives. RLS affects 10% of the American population with women being more likely to suffer from this condition. Also, this condition affects the middle-aged and older generation more than it does the younger generation. Let’s look into more information and which is the best, weighted blanket for restless legs and insomnia.
||YnM Weighted Blanket||9.7|
||Quility Weighted Blanket with Soft Cover||9.8|
||Adult Weighted Blanket Queen Size||9.6|
||ZonLi Cooling Weighted Blanket||9.6|
|Weighted Blanket Queen Size||9.4|
|AN Cooling Weighted Blankets||9.5|
|Luna Adult Weighted Blanket||9.5|
||Bare Home Weighted Blanket Queen Size 17lbs||9.2|
||RelaxEden® Adult Weighted Blanket W/Removable, Washable Duvet Cover||9.3|
|OMYSTYLE Reversible Weighted Blanket||9.3|
What is restless leg syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome is a condition characterized by an uncomfortable sensation in the legs and sometimes arms which causes an irresistible urge to move the legs. People suffering from RLS may also suffer from Periodic Limb Movements (PLM) characterized by an uncomfortable twitching in the legs and arms. This mostly happens when someone is in a resting position and sometimes after retiring to bed. RLS tends to worsen as people get older.
RLS can be primary or secondary. In situations where the causes of RLS cannot be identified, the RLS will be categorized as primary or idiopathic RLS. Secondary RLS stems from other health conditions and resolves over time with treatment of the condition and lifestyle changes.
These conditions include:
- Anemia or other forms of iron deficiency
- Chronic conditions such as kidney disease or diabetes
Anyone can get RLS from inheritance or a dopamine imbalance.
If not addressed, RLS may prevent one from getting peaceful sleep and could eventually cause insomnia. In turn, lack of adequate sleep at night affects productivity and concentration at work, in school, and elsewhere during the day. This may end up in cases of depression.
A simple getting up, stretching, and moving around can easily resolve the problem temporarily. However, lifestyle changes, seeking medical attention, and using weighted blankets for restless legs can yield better results.
What are weighted blankets?
Weighted blankets are typically heavier than ordinary blankets weighing anywhere between 3 pounds to more than 20 pounds. They either have dense yarn or fillers such as plastic pellets, glass beads, ball bearings, or other weight fillers. Weighted blankets come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and weights. This is to meet different needs and can be used anywhere from the bedroom to the bed or couch in the living room. The ideal weighted blanket for restless legs and insomnia should be 10% of your body weight.
Weighted blanket for restless legs syndrome
Weighted blankets can relieve RLS through deep touch pressure therapy, also commonly referred to as deep pressure stimulation therapy. The best weighted blanket for insomnia and RLS works by applying gentle weight evenly on the body as you sleep or rest. This in turn triggers pressure points to produce relaxation hormones like serotonin and dopamine that counter cortisol (a stress hormone in the body).
The release of relaxation hormones enables one to relax by causing the nervous system to lower the heart and breathing rate during sleep. This way, an individual can enjoy sound sleep eventually improving their well-being.
Does a Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs Syndrome Help?
Weighted blankets have been used for quite some time for sensory therapy. They have proved effective in helping patients suffering from ASD (autism spectrum disorder), ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder), and insomnia. Triggers such as noise, certain life events, and changes in routine can overstimulate these people.
In the same way that weighted blankets help to calm ASD and ADHD patients, it also effective in calming people who experience RLS during rest or bedtime.
The best weighted blanket for restless legs syndrome yields the following effects:
- They provide comfort and a sense of security.
- They calm an active nervous system and activate the parasympathetic nervous system that relaxes the body.
- Calm down feelings of stress and anxiety to promote better sleep.
- Promote quality sleep by stimulating the production of mood-boosting and relaxation hormones like serotonin and melatonin while reducing stress hormones like cortisol.
- They act as a distraction for RLS to divert attention away from the condition.
- They build strong immunity thanks to the release of oxytocin. Oxytocin helps reduce the levels of cortisol hormones in the body.
Who Shouldn’t Use Weighted Blankets?
You can get effective relief by using a weighted blanket for restless legs and get proper rest. Both adults and children can be safe when using these blankets. However, some categories of people should avoid using them or exercise utmost caution before using them.
- Toddlers and infants under the age of three who weigh less than 50 lbs.
- Pregnant women.
- Seniors or those who cannot remove the blankets on their own.
- People who suffer from conditions like sleep apnea, respiratory diseases, epilepsy, skin allergy, or other chronic health conditions.
Which weighted blanket for restless legs is the best?
The best weighted blanket for you typically weighs about 10% of your body weight. Also, when planning to purchase, consider the following:
- The washing instructions. Can you easily wash your blanket from the comfort of your home following the instructions provided?
- Does the fabric of the blanket feel breathable and comfortable on your skin?
- Is the weight comfortable for you?
10 Best Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs and Insomnia
Researchers continue to find many forms of treatment for restless legs syndrome. These include CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and deep pressure therapy using a weighted blanket. Restless legs can be the source of fatigue, unproductivity, insomnia, and even depression if not handled well. Below are ten blankets to consider for your future purchase.
#1 YnM Weighted Blanket
The YnM weighted blanket features a unique combination of 7 layers which includes 100% premium OEKO-TEX certified cotton material on the outside and glass beads underneath a thin breathable fiber layer on the inside. In addition to offering excellent cushioning for the glass beads, the breathable fiber fill also offers great temperature control.
This blanket has small 4.7 x 4.7-inch finely-stitched compartments, perhaps the smallest that you can find in weighted blankets currently on the market. The small compartments, firmly separated by the three-dimensional lock bead sewing method ensure an even distribution of weight and prevent bead leakage. If you are looking for a blanket that contours well against your body shape and one that you can use with or without your duvet, this is it.
To keep it intact on top of your duvet, this weighted blanket comes attached with interior ties that you can use to attach firmly onto the duvet for reduced stress and improved sleep. The YnM weight blanket comes in a wide variety of sizes, colors, and weights to cater to the different tastes of children and adults of different sizes and body weights. This specific dark grey model measures 48×72 inches weighs 15 lb. and is best for people of around 140 lb. weight on a twin or full bed.
- Smaller inner compartments enable even distribution of weight.
- Made with interior ties that fasten firmly to a duvet.
- The 7-layer system offers several advantages including temperature control, breathability, and contours to the shape of the human body.
- Made of high-quality cotton and other premium materials.
- The seams do not seem to hold up the weight securely within the compartments hence beads leak in the compartments, but not out of the weighted blanket.
#2 Quility Weighted Blanket with Soft Cover
Quility weighted blanket comes with a soft removable machine-washable cover with zip closure. These blankets come in different weights and sizes and six color/pattern options offering a wide range of choices for different users. The recommended blanket weight should be around 10-14% of your body weight. This weighted blanket is grey in color and comes with a pink cover. It measures 60 x 80 inches to fit a full or queen-size bed and weighs 15 lb. This weighted blanket has 8 duvet loops that fasten it securely on your duvet.
The Quility weighted blanket features the innovative 7-layer system that balances the weight of the blanket letting it contour snugly against your body for excellent comfort, relaxation, and a sense of security. On the inside are premium micro-glass beads with layers of high-quality breathable cotton material on the beads.
The glass beads are spread out evenly within sizeable compartments and secured with ultra-durable stitches. This mechanism is to balance the weight of the blanket by evenly distributing pressure on your body.
- Even weight distribution across the quilted compartments
- The 7-layer system allows the weighted blanket to contour comfortably on your body
- Comes with a removable machine-washable duvet cover
- The blankets measure the exact size of the respective bed surface area and do not overhang
#3 Waowoo Adult Weighted Blanket
Waowoo adult box-stitched weighted blanket has multiple layers of fabric and premium glass beads filling. These include the upper premium high-density quilting, durable glass beads layer, inner breathable layer, and an outer shell to deliver excellent temperature control. It has small box compartments within which the beads help to evenly spread out the weight.
Waowoo uses EW stitching technology that is two times the normal stitching both on the edges and between the sections to prevent leakage of beads.
This weighted blanket for restless legs is available in different weights and sizes to cater to different people. This specific one is dark gray in color, weighs 15 lb., and measures 60×80 inches. The recommended blanket weight is 10% +1 of the user’s body weight.
- Smaller pockets for even weight distribution of glass beads
- Premium quality soft fabric
- Strong edge with strong stitches
- The size of the blanket may be smaller than the bed. This should however not be a deal breaker as the weight of the blanket should only go on the body.
- Too hot for summer
#4 ZonLi Cooling Weighted Blanket
ZonLi cooling weighted blanket carries two functions, the weight and the cooling functions making it a versatile weighted blanket. This blanket includes 100% soft breathable cotton and premium microfiber materials. It comes with premium glass beads in a unique 7-layer design that promotes effective temperature control.
This explains why this blanket is effective in cooling and is one of the ideal options if you are looking for a weighted blanket that you can use all year round. The two additional layers of microfiber material together with the high-density sewing technology are important for preventing the beads from leaking from one section to another and threads from running loose. The small pockets each measuring 5.9×5.9 inches house the premium glass beads to deliver an even distribution of weight and a snug fit on your body curvature.
Coming in different colors, sizes, and weights, this blanket suits just anyone, both adults and kids. This specific blanket measures 60×80 inches weighs 20 lb. and is dark grey in color. It is integrated with loops that are helpful when attaching the blanket to your duvet. It is recommended that you select a ZonLi blanket that is 6% to 10% of your body weight.
- Soft comfortable material
- Effective cooling thanks to its high breathability
- The weight of the blanket seems a little heavier
#5 Weighted Idea Cooling Weighted Blanket
This weighted blanket by Weighted Idea is a highly breathable blanket made of 100% polyester material and hypoallergenic, non-toxic, food-grade polypropylene pellets stitched inside 5×5 inches sections. It features the 7-layer design that also includes microfiber layers with non-glue paddings secured with the high-density In Fine close stitches around each section of the beads and at the edges of the blanket. This helps to prevent the leakage of pellets and increases breathability.
Weighted Idea weighted blankets come in a range of colors, sizes, styles, and weights to cater to different people of different ages. They are designed with eight loops along the edges that secure firmly onto your duvet whenever you need to use them together. It is recommended that buyers select a weighted blanket that is 7-12% of their body weight.
- The highly breathable and comfortable fabric gives it a great cooling ability for all-year use
- Small pouches enhance the even distribution of weight
- The sizes run small
- The fabric is highly breathable but does not deliver a maximum cooling effect
#6 AN Cooling Weighted Blankets
AN cooling weighted blanket is made of a combination of materials. Pure natural OEKO-TEX certified cotton fabric on the outside, and polyester filling, with premium glass beads using the 7-layer sewing technology. Each of the small square sections housing the glass beads measures 5×5 inches and is secured by strong neat stitches for even distribution of weight and no bead leakage.
This blanket is designed with 8 buckles along its edges to secure it onto your duvet. It is recommended that buyers select blankets that are 10% of their body weight. AN weighted blanket is available in a wide range of weights and sizes.
- Soft, cozy, and highly breathable blanket that makes them great for all-year use
- 8 buckles on the edges work well to secure the weighted blanket on the duvet
- Gets too hot in extremely hot weather which means you may need to use it on its own without your duvet
#7 Luna Adult Weighted Blanket
Luna Adult weighted blanket is the go-to blanket if you are looking for something warm and cozy with a true cooling effect when it does get hot. It is made of 100% OEKO-TEK certified cotton, cloud-like fabric filling with air channels, and premium glass beads. The micro glass beads are enclosed in small sections with fine tight stitches. This ensures an even distribution of weight.
Perhaps one of its greatest advantages that enhances its cooling effect is its high breathability. This blanket features a 7-layer design with air channels that allow the effective circulation of air and management of temperature.
Luna Adult weighted blankets are available in a range of colors, print patterns, sizes, and weights. They are made with 8 ties along the outer edges to secure their fastening against your duvet, minimize shifting, and maximize comfort. This specific blanket measures 60×80 inches weighs 15 lb. and is dark grey in color. It is recommended that you purchase a weighted blanket that is 8-10% of your body weight.
- This weighted blanket does feel heavy yet cool and highly breathable
- 8 ties on the outside edges fasten the blanket onto your duvet for minimized shifting
- Easy maintenance by simply machine washing in a cold gentle setting
- Non-toxic material
- You may want to size up the weight of your selected blanket for a warmer better experience as the recommended size seems best for those who run hot
#8 Bare Home Weighted Blanket for Restless Legs
The bare Home weighted blanket is true to its weight and size. It does provide soothing comfort. This blanket is available in two main options, the 100% OEKO-TEX certified cotton fabric shell and the premium micro plush fabric. On the inside are premium glass beads enclosed in 4×4-inch pockets stitched with reinforced stitching to prevent the filling from shifting and beads from leaking to other sections. The smaller pockets allow for even distribution of the blanket weight on your body.
This blanket is designed with corner loops to tie it securely against your duvet to prevent the weighted blanket from shifting.
Bare Homes weighted blankets are available in a wide range of colors, print patterns, sizes, and weights for different people young and old. It is recommended that a buyer selects a weighted blanket that is 10% of his/her body weight. Also, experts advise that the blanket should not be longer than one’s mattress or hang on the sides of the bed.
- The reinforced stitches work great to prevent the shifting, leakage, or piling of the filling unevenly to other sections
- Heavy but comfortable, cozy, and breathable
- Made of irritant-free, odor-free, non-toxic glass beads
- Corner loops may not be enough to secure the blanket against your duvet. Additional side loops can be great
#9 RelaxEden® Adult Weighted Blanket
This weighted blanket by Relax Eden speaks of high quality right from its fabric to its stitching. It is made of 100% soft cotton, heavy hypoallergenic glass micro-beads filling, two layers of polyester padding, and comes with a removable duvet cover made of soft dot Minky fabric. It is best for all year-use thanks to the soft cotton material and the duvet cover that keep you warm during the cold season. On the other hand, taking off the duvet cover coupled with its high breathability gives a great cooling effect during the hot seasons.
The blanket is designed with small 6×6 neatly stitched pouches to achieve an evenly distributed weight on the blanket. These pouches prevent the micro glass beads from leaking. RelaxEden blanket is available in different weights and sizes. It is designed with 8 loops that fasten the weighted blanket to the duvet cover securely. This specific blanket is gray, measures 60×80 inches, and weighs 15 lb.
- Strong neat high-quality stitching
- Breathable material regulates temperature making the blanket useful through all seasons
- 7-layered construction gives this blanket a soft cozy feel
- Hypoallergenic non-toxic glass beads
- Weighs heavy for delicate users. Seek medical advice
#10 OMYSTYLE Reversible Weighted Blanket
This innovative cool and warm reversible weighted blanket by OMYSTYLE is made of a combination of high-quality fabrics making it good for use throughout the year. Like most other weighted blankets, it also still features the 7-layer design comprising 100% Tencel (300TC) Botanic fabric and 330GSM short plush fabric each on the outer sides.
They are lined with 100% cotton padding underneath to make them comfortable. A non-glue polyester padding lies between the cotton padding and the fine glass beads to help evenly distribute the weight of the beads and prevent them from leaking. The strongly stitched 4×4-inch pouches also play a significant role in preventing the beads from leaking. The double-thread stitches, sewed with a 2.5 mm needle gauge, are much stronger and last longer.
The dual-sided feature is a big plus for this blanket. The super soft short plush side provides excellent warmth and is great during the autumn and winter seasons. The cooling Tencel side provides a cooling effect and is great for use during the summer and spring seasons. This weighted blanket is available in two colors and a range of sizes and weights. It comes with a carry bag for easy storage and transportation.
- Innovative reversible + 7-layered design makes it a versatile piece delivering customized comfort for both warm and cold seasons
- Feels soft, cozy, and quite comfortable
- The recommended weight feels a little heavier thus it is better to size down the weight during the purchase
- Not easily washable, a duvet cover makes sense in this case
RLS can really frustrate your resting or sleeping times. A weighted blanket comes in handy as it uses deep pressure therapy to gently apply pressure on you. This in turn stimulates the release of relaxation and mood-boosting hormones to ease anxiety and help you to relax and sleep well. These carefully chosen weighted blankets for insomnia in adults and kids are rated top for their great features and we hope that this review will help you make an informed choice when out to purchase a weighted blanket.
However, getting into a weighted blanket for restless legs routine may not be a holistic solution to your problem. Experts recommend that you first have a doctor diagnose RLS and recommend the best treatment mechanism for you that will eventually completely eliminate symptoms of RLS. This may include CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and other forms of treatment. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to get the right blanket in weight and size for you.