- Buying Guide
- 10 Best Bed Rails for Adults 2021
- Stander EZ Adjust Bed Rail, Adjustable Senior Bed Rail and Bed Assist Grab Bar for Elderly Adults with Organizer Pouch (Health and Beauty)
- Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail with Floor Supports (Health and Beauty)
- Stander 30″ Safety Bed Rail, Adjustable Bed Rail for Elderly Adults, Bed Safety Rail (Health and Beauty)
- Able Life Bedside Extend-A-Rail, Adjustable Senior Bed Safety Rail and Bedside Standing Assist Grab Bar (Health and Beauty)
- Able Life Bedside Safety Handle, Senior Bed Rail and Adjustable Height Assist Bar with Organizer Pouch (Health and Beauty)
- Stander Mobility Rail, Senior Bed Rail and Assist Bar with Swing-Out Mobility Arm and Organizer Pouch (Health and Beauty)
- LumaRail Bed Assist Rail, Support Bar Handle. Includes LED Motion Sensor Nightlight + FREE Anchor Strap. New Model works with LOW BEDS and ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT TOP-RAIL ACCOMMODATES THICK MATTRESSES (Kitchen)
- Stander BedCane, Adult Bed Rail and Support Handle, Height Adjustable Elderly Stand Assist with Organizer Pouch (Health and Beauty)
- Stander Bed Rail Advantage Traveler, Bariatric Bed Assist Rail for Elderly Adults, Folding Safety Handle with Organizer Pouch (Health and Beauty)
Have you heard people working in your local adult center request you consider a safety bed rail for your elderly grandparent? And you thought this is the 21st century who would need a bed rail. Only to be told that as people age they require extensive support as they sleep. As much as you would want a good night sleep without interruptions so does the elderly person. What is a safety bed rail? It is a supportive tool that is hooked on the bed or mattress preventing accidents and injuries emanating from falling off the bed through rolling, slip off or simple falls. Additionally, they can be used to assist the user to get on or off their bed if the bed is slightly higher than their efforts.
||Stander EZ Adjustable and Pivoting Adult Home Bed Rail||8.6|
||Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail with Floor Supports||8.1|
||Stander 30″ Safety Adult Bed Rail||9.1|
||Able Life Bedside Extend-A-Rail||8.7|
|AliMed AliRail Bed Assist Rail||8.4|
||Able Life Home Bedside Safety Handle||7.9|
||Stander Mobility Adult Home Bed Rail||8.3|
||LumaRail Bed Assist Rail with LED Motion Sensor||9.2|
||Stander Bed Rail Advantage Traveler||8.5|
The functionality of the bed rail
What are you going to use it for? Is it for as a mobility assistant or are you purchasing it for falls prevention? This will help you make the right choice once you figure out its use. If you need it for both functions, then one should consider buying one that can handle the two roles effectively.
Consider the size of the bed
Bed rails do not come in universal sizes this is because of the variety of bed sizes in the market. One needs to contemplate on one that fits perfectly on the bed or mattresses. This is because oversized or undersized bed rails have been known to cause injuries to the neck and shoulders on the users or slip offs. There is need to also, consider whether the bed is adjustable and movable thereby affecting the usability of the bed rail.
During use as a mobility tool, it might require holding someone who is heavy. As a buyer, you need to look out for whether it can stand the pressure of heavy persons and for how long. Moreover, there is need also to check out, that in a case of a fall can it break or dismantle.
One-sided or two-sided
Depending on the needs of the user, as a purchaser looks at how it will be of help. Is the bed along the wall that you may need only one rail or is the bed in the center of the room such that you may need to install two rails to prevent a fall.
They come in short, half-length or full-length. Additionally, we have those that are adjustable that user could adjust as they use especially for mobility purposes.
How compatible is the rail to the type of bed
10 Best Bed Rails for Adults 2021
#1 Stander EZ Adjustable and Pivoting Adult Home Bed Rail
Doubling up as a bed rail and a bed handle is bed rails for adults it is designed to match and blend with your home. Moreover, it stands out as bed rails for adults allows one to quickly adjust the rail in length of stretching up to 26″-34″-42″ inches and pivot downward making 180 degrees on folding after its installation. Additionally, it comes with a bedside organizer pouch is that is convenient for storage of small items next to the bed. It ultimately fits mattresses between 12-18 inches.
It stands out from different bed rails for adults in the market for a couple of reasons that include:
It can adjust up to 42inches at its maximum length and minimum of 26 inches. This gives room for adjustment entirely for any size of bed by pushing the pin in place during adjustment. This increases holding up chances.
For an increased sturdiness it comes with safety bed straps that one buckle to the bed frame. Thereby keeping the rail safely against the mattress or bed. The straps are easy to install and adjust depending on the size.
The bed rail is used on any type and size of the bed. Be it that the bed is adjustable, movable or still be it a king or Small sized bed. It is made to fit. Any owner of a bed could use it to any bed. Go ahead and try it.
- Adjustable length up to 42 inches.
- Usable to mattresses up to 18 inches in width.
- Function as a mobility tool as well as a preventive tool.
- Built in storage compartment.
- Can be used on either side of the bed.
- Slightly heavy.
- It requires careful assembly especially the straps.
#2 Essential Medical Supply Height Adjustable Hand Bed Rail with Floor Supports
The adjustable adult bed rails help prevent falls when getting in and out of bed. Two feet provide extra stability and slides between mattress for secure fit adjustable depth and height allows rail to fit almost any bed size. Also, will adjust to fit pillow top mattress. Easy tool-free assembly.
Designed with adjustable bed rails, it stands to supports the user to get out of the bed. Additionally, it comes with two feet which increase and provides extra stability for the user. It is the perfect buddy for an aged person it has an adjustable height allows the rails to fit for every bed size.
It comes with 2 feet that provide stability for the user during use. Additionally, for the support, it slides in between the mattresses for an extremely secure fit.
Depending on the height of the bed from the floor it is equipped with adjustable rails that support the user getting in or out of bed at ease. All they do is adjust as per their level of comfort. Moreover, the adjustable rails can be used on either side of the bed. They adjust up to 19.25-21.25 inches and a leg adjustment from 13 inches.
- Easy to assemble.
- Adjustable rails.
- Sturdy, safe and reliable.
- Snaps off in the case of a wide bed.
- Cannot be used by a disabled person.
#3 Stander 30″ Safety Adult Bed Rail
It comfortably folds down and out during use. The adult bed rails double up as a safety mechanism, and a supportive mobility tool is assisting bed rails. It is crucial to make a loved one feel cared for especially if you realize that they don’t look for to that sleep time as they are afraid they might toss and turn and fall on the cold floor. This assist bed rail is a bed rail 30 inches long that prevent the loved one from falling. Additionally, it is the supportive partner as you go on or off the bed for an aged person.
As the main characteristics of the product, the rail is foldable either up or down. Allowing for proper storage after use. It also makes it portable to another bed for another person who might need it.
It can be installed on either side of the bed inserted between the mattress and box spring.
Dual safety strap
It comes with a safety strap that attaches the rail to the bed frame, which keeps it steady and prevents it from falling off.
- Foldable rails.
- Installation could be on either side.
- Handle length 30 inches long that, increases safety measures.
- Swing out the arm as its unique character.
- It does not fit on sleigh beds.
- Difficult to install.
#4 Able Life Bedside Extend-A-Rail
With a patented design that allows one to adjust the length of a rail as one crawls off the bed. Unlike others, this bed assists rail the user only slides through the bed rail. Additionally, it has a bedside handle assisting the user getting off the bed assisting convenient standing. It holds up to 300 lbs whose length can be extended between 20-30 inches. In line with that, it can be installed on either side of the bed. Uniquely it is made of coated steel which prevents it from rusting thereby increasing its durability.
Coated with steel, which prevents rusting in the case of exposure to humid conditions. This means that this material cannot break and cause injury to the user. Especially when using, it as a bed handle. Look out for the material that makes it durable.
Bedside rail Is long enough
Increase the sturdiness on the user. It can stretch to 20 inches and 30 inches which increase support as it balances the weight of the user and the strength it can withstand.
It supports the weight of up to 300 lbs without breakage. This means that if it worries your aged aunty that bed handle might break if the simply because she is 250 lbs this gives her stress. With this feature, it allows safety and peace for the user.
3 in 1
It comes with the bed rails, the bed handle, and an organizer pouch. This product not only prevents you from rolling over in your sleep it also helps you get out of bed. Additionally, it also comes with a supplementing product in the form of a pouch that helps you store your handy products next to your bed.
- Coated with steel which prevents rusting, breakage increasing durability.
- Supports up to 300 lbs of weight.
- Comes with bed handle that supplements movement for the user.
- Its frame extends up to 22 inches from the base that means it gives you 6 inches above the mattress.
- Its rail is relatively large making it difficult to go on and on the bed smoothly.
#5 AliMed AliRail Bed Assist Rail
Uniquely designed taking an M-shape allowing two hand was gripping which provides maximum support for the user especially if they are standing from a seating position. This also allows the user to crawl off the bed quickly. It is bed guards for adults with handle, which are non-slip ensuring that one does not slide off while using it. It is made of steel. Which means it can hold up to 300 lbs comfortably without deformation. Bed rail’s size is 18 inches in width, and 22 inches in height allowing it fit any bed is it single or full-size or the king size.
What makes it stand out?
It is easy to fix it together as it is a three-piece construction. By looking at it, one can tell where the bed rails join with the handles and how they can be straps using the straps to attain maximum support. It also means after use it’s straightforward to dismantle it.
Broad base extenders
We are assuming that we all understand what stability means to an aged person as they try to stand. This product is constructed with a broad base that extends to provide stability and safety for the user. So should be any other, take time to decide using this factor.
Through its unique M-shaped design which allows the user to stand with ease from a sitting position.
What material is it made of? This one is made of steel, meaning it can hold 300 lbs without breakage. It also means a longevity of its lifespan.
- The steady base for support.
- Very easy to grip given its ergonomic non-slip handle.
- Braced with a double cross for the ultimate support for the user.
- Made of steel increasing its lifespan.
- Has durable nylon straps that provide countering weight options.
- Portable because of its easy dismantling if a need arises.
- Designed for the conventional type of bed leaving out usage on the adjustable bed.
- Not compatible with mattresses that do not have box spring.
#6 Able Life Home Bedside Safety Handle
Functional and attractive with a pocket organizer that allows you to store your items next to your bed. It is one of the best-selling bed guards for adults holding up to a weight of 300 lbs. It not only prevents a night-time falls for the user from the bed but also helps in the movement to and from the bed. It comes with a handle that is padded that provides a firm grip for the user.
The safety handle is quite sturdy and durable, which means that it is not going to give away while the patient is using it. This is imperative as a weak handle can break as the patient is using it, leading to potential injuries.
The handle can be put on either side of the bed, making it versatile for the patient. It also allows the patient to have freedom on the bed, instead of being restricted on only a specific side.
The handle can support up to 300 lbs of weight. This makes it ideal for use for most individuals, including overweight patients.
- Comes with an ergonomic cushion on the handle that assists in comfortable use.
- Easy to install.
- Rail can be fitted on either side of the bed.
- Rail as long as 21 inches going as far as the waist area preventing the user from falling.
- Handles are at huge risk of breakage after a while.
- Limited positions while using straps on an adjustable bed.
#7 Stander Mobility Adult Home Bed Rail
Designed with a mobility arm swinging out while in use and folds back into the rail after use and backed by non-slip legs is bed rails for elderly. It prevents a fall off from the bed and support movement for the user. Moreover, it is customized to allow setup and adjustment to a height of 44 inches during and after installation .with a length handle of 19 inches (23.56 cm) and capability of holding up to 300 lbs (150 kg) this two bring out its supportive character. Its length handle means that either tall or short people may use it comfortably.
The bed rail does not slip even when on the moist floor. This makes it very effective for support and prevents any possible accidents from happening due to the imbalance caused by slipping.
The Mobility Bed Rail can be attached to most traditional beds, without requiring any extensive installation or expertise. Everything is included in the box, including the hardware and wrench needed to turn the knobs for securing the rail on to the bed.
- Comes with a mobility swing arm that aids movement.
- Has steady non-slip legs that are firm.
- Comes with a four pocket pouch allowing one to keep your Bedside items.
- Adjustable legs depending on user’s height.
- Handles are made of ergonomic cushion preventing slip offs.
- Cannot be used on a bed without box springs.
- The swing arm could injure the user if it turned inappropriately.
#8 LumaRail Bed Assist Rail with LED Motion Sensor
Of all bed rails for seniors, this one is particularly unique as it comes with an automatic lighter that works with motion sensing system aiding mobility in the dark. Together with an adjustable height is Luma rail that makes it easy get off the bed. As a safety tool preventing falling from the bed, it comes with an anchor strap slips in between the bed’s frame and the mattresses in increasing the support a rail provides and prevents rail from moving away from the bed. Moreover, the handle rail can be adjusted from 29 inches to 37.5 inches from the top of the rail to the bottom. With a rail of 20 inches length that prevents a total fall off the bed as the rail is up to the waist section of the user while in bed.
It works well with all bed but notably with low beds which do not have a place with other safety bed rails for seniors.
Light in darkness
The bed rail comes with an installed LED which allows the patient to reach for it, even when the room is dark. The LED turns on when it detects motion to allow the patient access to it, without risking a fall.
Accommodates most mattresses
This LumaRail can be installed on most kinds of beds, including even the low beds. You can put it on ordinary mattresses as well as thick mattresses.
The rail support comes with a free anchor strap, included in the purchase. This reinforces the security of the patient by ensuring that the bed rail stays in its position and has no gap in between the mattress and itself.
Ease of installation
The LumaRail Bed Assist Rail is extremely intuitive to install. There are no external tools required to set it up and attach it to the bed. Everything is included in the box and has been explained in the instruction manual.
- Has an automatic lighting for use in dark areas.
- Adjustable height for mobility eases.
- Very fast to assemble and install.
- Works well with low beds and all other floor supported beds.
- Straps cannot accommodate king-sized beds.
# 9 Stander BedCane
Of the tiniest in this category, measuring 16 x 20 x 19 inches (19.8 cm x 25 cm x 23.4 cm) and weighing 3.5 ounces (0.19 lbs) this hospital bed rail is not only a hospital kind of bed rail but a support mechanism for mobility on and off the bed. Because of its size, it’s highly portable and can attach to any bed be it a hotel bed or a hospital one. Moreover, it accommodates top mattresses and thicker pillow.
The design of the BedCane is ergonomic, keeping in mind to make it as convenient for the patient to use it as possible. The handle has been padded for added comfort.
The BedCane comes with a safety strap to attach to the opposite side of the bed. This keeps the supporting stand in its position and prevents any gap from arising between it and the mattress.
- Small in size making it very portable.
- Comfortable handle made of soft cushion that is easy to clean.
- Easily Foldable after use making it easy to store.
- Comes with a reversible handle meaning it can be installed on either side of the bed.
- It is only adjustable up to 22inches unlike other that get up to 35 inches (43.4 cm).
Cannot be used by people who entirely rely on it to stand.
#10 Stander Bed Rail Advantage Traveler
This is a travel partner that is considered the most portable bed rails for adults as it weighs less than 8 pounds. Not only is it a bed rail but also elderly assist handle for support. Foldable in nature, attachable on any bed be it adjustable or non-adjustable it stands the test of time because of its sturdy quality. Additionally, it stands up to a weight of 400lbs differentiating it from ordinary bed rails for adults.
This bed rail has been optimized for usage on the go. It has a low body weight and a minimal frame design, due to foldability, making it easy to carry along with you.
The bed rail can support the weight of up to 400 lbs, making it useful for all kinds of patients (normal, underweight and overweight).
Works with most beds
The stand can be used with most traditional beds. It supports mattress sizes between 10 and 16 inches high.
The rail’s wider base increases the stability when in use, making it more secure overall.
- Has a broad base that increases its sturdiness.
- Non Slip handle made coated with cushion.
- Very portable as it can be folded down when a need arises.
- Supports up to 400lbs (181 kg) unlike other bed rails for adults.
- It comes with an organizer pocket.
- While new it has a strong chemical smell that may be very disturbing.
In conclusion, there might be a lot of brands out there for bed rails for adults, but as discussed earlier. We recommend you take time and go through all the available and make a decision based on your needs.