- Buying Guide
- 9 Best Wheelchair Carriers for the Back of a Vehicle 2020
- Titan Ramps Hitch Mounted Wheelchair Scooter Mobility Carrier Medical Rack Ramp MC500 SC500
- TMS® Folding Strong Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier Mobility Scooter Loading Ramp (Health and Beauty)
- Goplus Wheelchair Carrier Mobility Scooter Loading Ramp Heavy Duty Strong Hitch Cargo, 500 Lbs Capacity (Unfoldable)
- EGO BIKE Carrier for Wheelchair Power Electric Medical Mobility Scooter Rack with Ramp
- Silver Spring SC500-V3 Folding Steel Scooter and Wheelchair Carrier with Ramp (Automotive)
- MaxxHaul 70275 52-1/2″ x 29″ Aluminum Cargo Carrier with 60″ Folding Ramp (Automotive)
- 500lb Carrier Loading Ramp Mobility Scooter Electric Power Wheelchair Heavy Duty
- MAXXHAUL 80779 Aluminum Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier with 47″ Long Ramp (Automotive)
- ECOTRIC Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier with Mobility Ramp for Wheelchair Scooter Lawn Mower Snow Blower Hauler 500lb Capacity Basket-Style
If you’re either disabled or are suffering from mobility issues, or you’re providing care for someone that’s currently in such a situation, I’m sure you’re aware of how important it is to provide the necessary equipment and gear, regardless of your location. If you’re disabled or are caring for a loved one that suffers from mobility issues, I strongly advise that you consider purchasing a hitch-mounted wheelchair carrier, so that you or your loved one have access to essential equipment wherever you are.
A wheelchair carrier can solve many issues and offer you a lot more freedom when it comes to personal transportation. It even offers more utility than you think and it can be used for carrying heavy-duty equipment, not just wheelchairs, and mobility scooters.
||Titan Ramps Hitch Mounted Wheelchair Carrier MC500 SC500||9.1|
||TMS Folding Strong Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier||9.4|
||Goplus Strong Wheelchair Hitch Carrier||8.9|
||EGO BIKE Carrier for Wheelchair||9.2|
||Silver Spring SC500-V3 Mobility Hitch Carrier Rack||9.6|
||MaxxHaul 70275 Aluminum Cargo Carrier||9.5|
||Prohoists Heavy Duty Wheelchair Carrier||9.5|
||MAXXHAUL 80779 Aluminum Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier||9.3|
||ECOTRIC Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier||9.3|
There are some factors that you should take into consideration before picking a wheelchair carrier. Keep in mind that this is a wheelchair carrier for the back of a vehicle, so even if the product-specific features might please you, you still have to consider what type of vehicle you have and how compatible it is with the folding wheelchair carrier of your choice. Let’s dive into some specifics!
You want to make sure that the folding wheelchair carrier that you consider purchasing is fit for the task. Buy something that’s rated to carry more than the weight you’re prepared to haul on it. The equipment that you transport with this device is essential for someone’s (or your own) well-being.
Some vehicles need to be fitted with more heavy-duty springs or other upgrades to offer your vehicle an adequate suspension to handle the extra load, as these attachments can be rather stiff. When shopping for a manual wheelchair carrier, it’s also important to consider the hitch type on your vehicle, because many products on the market are designed to fit a specific type of hitch.
These attachments can be quite heavy, and the way that they’re placed, behind the vehicle, might affect the performance of your car. While, I admit, these things aren’t that heavy and most vehicles shouldn’t have any major issues when pulling the extra weight, a manual wheelchair carrier can take their toll on smaller cars, so keep that in mind.
That being said, we can start focusing on what products I have prepared for this roundup.
9 Best Wheelchair Carriers for the Back of a Vehicle 2020
#1 Titan Ramps Hitch Mounted Wheelchair Carrier MC500 SC500
I’m starting our list with the Medical Rack Ramp MC500 and SC500 models. This product is rated to carry up to 500 lbs, which is great. You can mount heavy mobility equipment on the MC500 and SC500 without having to worry about it slipping off or breaking and focus on driving. The MC500 is a great wheelchair carrier for the back of a vehicle because it’s designed to vertically fold against the back of the car, saving space for when it’s not being used.
The total weight of the product is 86 lbs, so most vehicles should have no problem with hauling it. It’s designed to fit 2″ class III/IV trailer hitches, so you might want to consider modifying your vehicle before purchasing if it isn’t compatible. It’s also designed to be used with most wheelchairs and mobility scooters and it’s made out of steel, to be extra sturdy, so no problem there.
- Rated to carry up to 500 lbs; heavy duty
- Steel construction for sturdiness and durability
- Folds vertically on the back of the vehicle to save space when not in use
- Can fit most mobility scooters and wheelchairs
- Some users reported damage being dealt with the product during shipping
- Some users reported poor customer service
#2 TMS Folding Strong Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier
Moving on to the second product on my hitch mounted wheelchair carrier roundup, I’ll be presenting the TMS Folding Strong Electric Wheelchair Hitch Carrier. This foldable-ramp carrier is designed with anti-wobble features and can be used along with straps to increase the stability of your equipment during traveling and transportation. The product comes in three different models that are uniquely-designed to haul mobility scooters or wheelchairs, which is great. No use in buying something with generic use if you just need a carrier designed for specific equipment, so purchasing something that suits your exact needs is the more logical thing to do.
Both the scooter carrier and the wheelchair carrier have similar features. The platform dimensions are 28×48 inches for each model, both coated with black powder and constructed out of heavy-duty steel that can carry up to 400 lbs, with a 500 lbs model being available for heavier equipment. The 500 lbs model is also designed with anti-wobble features. The weight of the product is 71 lbs, so I’d say that shouldn’t be a problem.
- Anti-wobble feature promotes a smooth ride
- Weights 71 lbs; Easy to lift and transport
- Models are designed to carry mobility scooters and wheelchairs
- Ramp folds into three positions, for convenience
- 3-inch safety rail fits for ultimate security during the ride
- Anti-wobble feature only available for 500 lbs model
- Straps must be purchased separately
#3 Goplus Strong Wheelchair Hitch Carrier
My third pick for the roundup is a cheaper product than the previously mentioned carriers. Although it offers mostly the same features and build quality, it can save you a few bucks. The Goplus Wheelchair Hitch Carrier is designed with a 3” safety rail, carrying a maximum capacity of 500 lbs, which is plenty. It comes with a durable black powder coating for extra adherence and pull locks, for convenience.
As the previously mentioned products on the list, the ramp can be set in three positions: Closed, Open (180 degrees) and L-shaped, depending on how you want to use it. Users have been happy with this product, although some reported that it has suffered damage from carrying much less weight than advertised, although users have offered, as previously stated, good overall reviews.
- Steel construction for added durability and long longevity
- Pull locks for convenience during ride
- Easy to install and use
- Black powder coating to prevent rusting and increase usage life
- Some users reported weaker strength than advertised by the manufacturers
#4 EGO BIKE Carrier for Wheelchair
At first glance, it looks and feels strong. Well, only because it is made from heavy-duty steel. The spring pull locks are equally heavy-duty and the entire carrier is made for quick and easy loading and offloading of a scooter or wheelchair as well for smooth transportation. This carrier gives you the luxury of three 3 positions to choose from: open flat, open l-shaped and closed flat. The Open flat allows the ramp to stand straight when the wheelchair is on the carrier. The L-shaped allows for the mobility aid to be pushed up or driven up the ramp while the closed flat allows for the ramp to be stored securely when the carrier is folded up. All these positions are used interchangeably and are ideal for different situations. The ramp can take on a weight capacity of up to 400 pounds without caving in. As well, the length can be extended up to 42 inches. ‘
- This carrier has 3 positions to choose from
- Can be locked flat when not in use
- Extendable ramp length
- Constructed from heavy-duty steel to make it strong and durable
- With this carrier onboard, you will have to keep it less than 40 mph
- Also, you will need a hitch tightener to prevent the rack from wobbling during movement
#5 Silver Spring SC500-V3 Mobility Hitch Carrier Rack
The Silver Spring SC500 is a more deluxe option, with a considerably higher price. Weighing 96 pounds, it’s currently the heaviest carrier featured on the list. The V3 deluxe has a 500 lbs carrying capacity (which is standard), and has 4.25” side rails that can be used to secure the cargo in 10 different points, adding a lot of extra safety for traveling. The loading ramp is secured with spring pull lock and the whole thing is covered in an expandable mesh surface, giving your equipment more adherence.
It’s easy to assemble and features 5 handles, making it easy to handle and mount to your vehicle.
- User-friendly spring pull locks
- 10 different points for strapping your cargo
- 5 handles and easy to assemble
- Expandable mesh surface
- A bit pricey
- Mixed user reviews
#6 MaxxHaul 70275 Aluminum Cargo Carrier
The MaxxHaul Aluminium carrier is great, honestly. Its aluminum build makes it resistant to corrosion, strong and light, great for any type of vehicle that can haul it. Because it’s corrosive resistant, it can be deposited in a lot of environments and still work just fine, avoiding rust and other environmental damage.
This product also comes with reflectors, to give you that extra visibility on the road, a great feature that increases you and your passengers’ safety. It’s designed with high sides that offer great tie-down points and great stability for any wheelchair or mobility scooter.
- Corrosive resistant for longevity
- Light build makes it easy to carry and transport
- Reflectors to ensure safety during night usage
- Lean ramp angle for convenience
- No anti-wobble feature
#7 Prohoists Heavy Duty Wheelchair Carrier
The last product that I’ll feature in this review is the Prohoists Heavy Duty wheelchair carrier. It’s designed with a 5’ ramp (when fully extended) that’s also detachable, a great feature for storage purposes. This bad boy is also fitted with an anti-wobble mechanism that’ll keep your mobility scooter or wheelchair from swaying and will minimize the damage your attachment and trailer hitch will suffer. Like other products that I’ve previously featured, this one can also be folded up vertically, against the vehicle, for better storage.
Note that this carrier requires a Class III 2-inch hitch, no any other options.
- Rated for up to 500 lbs; heavy duty
- 5′ extendable ramp makes it easy to drive the wheelchair
- Anti-wobble mechanism for stability
- Good customer reviews
- Only connected with a Class III 2-inch hitch
#8 MAXXHAUL 80779 Aluminum Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier
This MAXXHAUL 80779 Ramp is designed to provide you with instant cargo space once hitched. It can be mounted on any vehicle types such as SUVs, vans, saloon cars, pickups- name it. You will love that it has very minimal hitch noise as well as wobbling and rattling. This is because an anti-rattle device has been installed. The ramp is held securely by two pins which keep it steady and safety reflectors are included to increase the visibility of the load behind for oncoming vehicles.
It is easy to clean it up and does not rust or wear easily. Above all, it is lightweight and may only need two people to assemble and mount. This ramp can be used to carry other wheeled equipment such as snow blowers, pressure washers, and compressors among others. It’s not limited to just wheelchairs and scooters. The ramp is long and wide enough. It measures 47 inches long.
- Designed to carry other wheeled equipment as well
- Easy and quick to load and unload
- The hitch is compatible with most vehicles
- Minimal hitch noise and wobbling
- Secure and stable
- May take a couple of trial and errors to figure out how to assemble the ramp as the guide is not of much help in assembling
#9 ECOTRIC Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier
With 11 tie-down points, this hitch-mounted mini cargo carrier can be used to carry so many other loads besides a scooter and wheelchair. You can load a lawnmower, compressor, snow blower among others as long as they are within the 500 pounds limit.
Additionally, it comes with 3 carrier positions, that is the closed flat, the l-shape, and the open flat. When not in use, you lock it flat and when loading equipment or your mobility aid you use the l-shape carrier to easily push it up the ramp. On matters safety, this carrier comes with a 3 inches safety rail to ensure that your equipment is safe and secure on the ramp and there is no chance of them coming down.
Lastly, the installation of this carrier is pretty easy so long as you have read and understood the instructions and you have all the hardware needed for installation.
- 11 tie-down points for maximum safety
- Ramp folds up and down quickly
- Comes with 3 carrier positions
- Carries a load of up to 500 pounds
- The instructions may not be so clear on how to go about with mounting
Wrapping up our discussion, I hope you have a pretty clear idea of what to look for in the product you set your eyes on. All of the featured products are designed to be sturdy and will provide a lot of use and reliability, granted that you consult the buying guide listed at the beginning of the review. A hitch-mounted carrier will give you or a loved one more independence, comfort and convenience, making life easier for everyone.