- Best Sound Amplifiers for the Elderly 2021
- Williams Sound PockeTalker Ultra Duo Sound Amplifier with Headphone & Earbud, Year Supply of Batteries & Liberty Microfiber Cloth (Health and Beauty)
- SuperEar Plus Model SE7500 Personal Sound Amplification Product with Case, Headphones and Discreet Earbuds (Health and Beauty)
- Sound Amplifier – Pocket Sound Voice Enhancer Device with Duo Mic/Ear Plus Extra Headphone and Microphone Set, Personal Hearing Amplifier Device by MEDca (Health and Beauty)
- SIMOLIO SM-621D Digital Assisted Amplifier Wireless TV Speakers, Voice Highlighting Portable TV Speakers for Seniors, Elderly and Hard of Hearing, No Delay, 100ft Range, Extra Headset & 2 Adapters (Wireless Phone Accessory)
- ZOWEETEK Portable Rechargeable Mini Voice Amplifier with Wired Microphone Headset and Waistband, Supports MP3 Format Audio for Teachers, Singing, Coaches, Training, Presentation, Tour Guide (Electronics)
One in every three people between ages 65 and 74 suffers from total hearing loss while one in two people above the age of 75 has some difficulty hearing. Hearing loss is common among the aging population. Sadly, it has become so normal that it often goes untreated. While hearing aids are a popular solution to this problem, they are not so popular among some seniors. First, they are way out of their budgets and secondly, some feel awkward in their ears.
||Williams Sound PockeTalker Sound Amplifier||9.9|
||SuperEar Plus Sonic Ear Personal Sound Amplifier||9.6|
||MEDca Sound Amplifier Plus Extra Headphone||9.2|
||Simolio Digital Assisted Hearing Wireless Amplifier||9.8|
|SHIDU Portable Wireless Personal Amplifier||9.4|
||Zoweetek Portable Rechargeable Mini Voice Amplifier||9.1|
The good news is that other non-prescription gadgets like the portable sound amplifiers for the elderly are available at a much lower cost. These gadgets come with various functionalities, for instance, volume and tone adjustments allowing the user some freedom to set a comfortable sound to their ear in different situations. However, these gadgets may not be of help to people with permanent hearing problems.
Two common types of sound amplifiers are:
- TV and telephone amplifiers. These are an excellent option for those who desire to hear media sounds clearly. For some, an amplifier is built within the telephone especially if it is a personal line.
- Personal sound amplifiers. These are the more common ones, used in areas that are busier, noisier, and deciphering a specific sound clearly would be hard. These ones are designed to limit background noise.
Best Sound Amplifiers for the Elderly 2021
Our review today checks 6 of the best sound amplifiers for the elderly. Check out our analysis and see why you should consider them during purchase.
#1 Williams Sound PockeTalker Sound Amplifier
The PockeTalker sound amplifier by Williams Sound is an excellent option if you are looking for a sound amplifier to step up closer sounds for instance, during one-on-one conversations or other short distance listening episodes. This amplifier is powered by 2 AAA alkaline batteries which under normal use will provide up to 100 hours of listening. Its detachable microphone will step up the sound to 40 dB. It gives you two listening options, using the HED 021 headphones or the EAR 013 mini single earbud. Adjust volume and tone conveniently using the controls on either side of this device.
This amplifier system comes with 20 extra AAA-batteries, a 144-inch microphone extension cord, along with a neck lanyard and a belt clip used to attach it.
- Reduces background noise
- Two listening options, headphones and earbud
- Used without hearing aids
- Mono plug, not stereo
- A little uncomfortable for some users
#2 SuperEar Plus Sonic Ear Personal Sound Amplifier
The SuperEar Plus SE 7500 sound amplifier comes enclosed in a protective pouch to keep it from damage and make it easy to carry around thanks to the belt clip. It is a powerful amplifier which is powered by 2 AA alkaline batteries that will provide up to 80 hours of listening on normal operation and has been designed to step up the sound to 50 dB. An advantage with this sound amplifier is that it comes with stereo earbuds and headphones for quality sound transmission. On the other hand, however, it does not reduce background noise as effectively as the others in the same league.
This gadget features an auto shut off function which switches it off after 30 minutes when not in use. It can be used in large spaces like churches, auditoriums, theatres, and outdoors as well as in smaller places like the home and other indoor spaces. It is compatible with SuperEar’s disposable earpad covers and so can be shared by several users without the risk of infection.
- Lightweight at only 0.2 lb
- Higher sound gain to 50 dB
- Does not reduce background noise
#3 MEDca Sound Amplifier Plus Extra Headphone
MEDca’s pocket amplifier is made for both indoor and outdoor use to amplify sounds up to 100 ft away. It comes with stereo headphones to produce quality sounds and a rotating microphone with detachable earbuds. This amp gives you the option of attaching one or two earbuds for single and both ears use as well as two interchangeable cords for use in both mono and stereo modes.
The volume key is positioned conveniently at the top of the gadget while the special PC (pitch control) and H-N (frequency resonator) keys at the side help you adjust the quality of sound to suit your ears. It is powered by a AAA battery that will run to 30 hours with normal use to deliver a sound gain of 55 dB.
- Highly versatile with an option for using either headphone, one or both earbuds.
- Ability to switch between mono and stereo modes
- Gives you control over the kind of sound you want to hear
- Small size hence portable anywhere
- 30 hours battery life is low
#4 Simolio Digital Assisted Hearing Wireless Amplifier
If you are wary about corded amps, here is one that will offer some freedom from cords. Simolio’s Digital Assisted Hearing Amplifier pairs well with most modern television sets, cable boxes, and WIFI TV boxes to bring the clear sound closer to the user thanks to the 2.4 GHz Digital Automatic FHSS signal transmission. It functions effectively over a distance of 100 ft, with or without obstacles, allowing you to use it anywhere in the house. As a second option, it comes with a headset, under-chin design, useful for quiet listening.
It comes with a built-in optical audio input for quality HDTV sound and two adapters, RCA and a 3.5 mm input cables both connected to the power outlet on your wall to power both the transmitter and the independent speaker. This digital hearing amp is powered by a Li-ion rechargeable battery and will run for up to 6 hours on a full charge. It features an auto shut-off element that goes off after 3 minutes of no sound along with a big volume knob for easy control, particularly by seniors.
- Independent speaker can be used for PC, MP3, laptop, or mobile phone
- Integrated short-circuit protection
- Voice Clarifying Technology, Automatic Gain Control, and Tone adjustment features
- Two ways of charging
- Cannot be used on a shared TV with single sound output
- A little bulky for frequent transportation
#5 SHIDU Portable Wireless Personal Amplifier
SHIDU’s S 611 portable voice amp in addition to serving individuals and addressing an audience of 25-100 people, it can also be used as an MP3 player as it is compatible with TF card and U disk. It comes with the capability of amplifying sound effectively over an area of 5,000 sq.ft or 150 ft distance which is quite remarkable. it comes with a detachable UHF microphone which can be positioned on the head, over the shoulders, or be held on the hands after removing the hook.
This sound amp is powered by a rechargeable lithium battery that runs 15 hours amplifier use, 10 hours on music playback, or 5 hours on the microphone. It is compact enough to fit inside the pocket and light too, making it quite portable. Attached with a belt clip to clip it on your belt and a waistband to tie it around your waist or suspend it from your neck. It also has an auto-shut function which switches it off after 20 minutes of no use.
- Multifunctional can be used to amplify sound or amplify voice when addressing a group of people
- Automatically pairs with a wireless microphone when the speaker is turned on
- Charging is via USB cable, charger not included in the package
- Will not work well if used when charging
#6 Zoweetek Portable Rechargeable Mini Voice Amplifier
Zoweetek’s ZW-Z 258 amplifier model is an excellent option for amplifying one’s voice when addressing an audience as it is built to produce up to 10 watts, covering an area of 10,000 sq.ft. to produce loud, crisp sound. This is thanks to the wired acoustic microphone which allows you to adjust the distance between your mouth and the microphone accordingly. It is powered by a built-in 1800 mAh lithium battery that runs 12 hours on amp mode, 10 hours playback, or 5 hours for mic function on a full charge. Charge it with the USB cable included in its package.
In addition, this amp is compatible with TF card and USB flash for audio playing and has impressive playback features like repeat, loop, and song switching. It works with a 3.5 mm AUX audio input which is installed on the microphone port so as to double up as a wired speaker for PCs, iPADs, laptops, and tablets.
It is small enough and lightweight at only 0.36 lb and can be carried around conveniently. With a belt clip and waist belt included in its package, you can clip it on your waist or suspend it from your neck when on the move.
- Wide coverage area at 10,000 sq.ft.
- A wired microphone is not comfortable for some users
Sound amplifiers are certainly a good option compared to hearing aids which may cost more than $400 per pair. Still, it is important to have your ears checked by an audiologist to gauge the extent of impairment. This is because there are many causes of hearing loss some of which could be treated medically, for instance, infection or tumor. Once this has been ruled out and you establish that your hearing problem is naturally occurring, then your audiologist can recommend a good sound amplifier.